*NO* Pokémon Diamond Version 'Wibbly Wobbly Time and Space'

Gario

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
  • Name of arrangement: "Wibbly Wobbly Time and Space"
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Battle! Vs Dialga/Palkia! 
  • LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbsX5oXHc8
  • Comments: It's been quite a while since I've submitted anything to the site, so I thought I'd try my hand with some of my own signature time signature rearrangements. What better mix to do that on than on a theme literally dealing with PokeGods of time and space? This arrangement takes a theme primarily in 4/4 and turns it into 7/4, with a small 5/4 ending (fun fact, part of the original arrangement actually is in 7/4; that part was especially simple to make lol). Since this a bit of a quirkier arrangement, with some elements of Dubstep while certainly not staying strictly within that genre at all, I made the title a bit quirky as well, using the Dr. Who references to "Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...stuff" cuz that's basically what this arrangement is. Overall this was fun to create, so I truly hope you enjoy!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/07/21 - Pokémon Diamond Version 'Wibbly Wobbly Time and Space'

There's a lot going on with this source, but the arrangement actually makes pretty straightforward use of it, although transforming it substantially.  It's plenty creative.

However, the lead used throughout most of the remix is a loud, bland saw--many of the accompanying instruments have some nice textures that you can't hear while that saw is playing.  The instrumentation is also pretty static through most of the piece--the lead changes a few times, but the bass, arps, and wubs change very little, although they occasionally drop out.  There are a few breaks, but then the instrumentation goes right back to what it was doing before.  It gets very fatiguing.

I like the breaks, but there needs to be even more variety to keep the listener interested, and as a main lead, that saw is really bland.  Pick two or three more interesting leads and swap around the accompaniment from time to time as well, and I think this will be a winner.

Also, for some reason the MP3 ends with 58 seconds of silence.  That definitely needs to be corrected even if this passes.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah... I can feel MW on this one. It's such a cool piece otherwise (those 7/4 timings, the interesting background textures, solid production etc.), but man that saw is overpowering and overbearing. It's like purchasing a 5 star meal... then pouring ketchup all over it. Everything else that's cool and interesting in the track is drown behind that one synth whenever it's present.

If you must utilize the basic saw wave, use it sparingly. Experiment using other synths to carry the lead, make the lead as interesting as the rest of the track. It's a shame to send this back with just this one issue, but it really does take the track down quite a bit. The silence is an easy fix, so do cut the 50+ seconds of silence off the end of the track, as well.

NO

When I started listening to this I was actually surprised that it was being NO'd by the other judges, but after a while the issues became pretty clear.  Your drums are really cool, and everything you have going on in the background is great, the syncopation and odd time signature is something I really enjoyed, and in general the arrangement does a lot of things right.  I just took a moment to read the other votes now and Gario is absolutely spot-on when he says "  It's like purchasing a 5 star meal... then pouring ketchup all over it. "  The detuned saw lead is probably the biggest problem here because everything else is just great, but this lead is just bland, generic and too pervasive throughout the duration of the song.

I wasn't a fan of the basic wubs used as well, but those are given the spotlight briefly, so they aren't much of an issue to me, more of a nitpick.

As MW mentioned, the track goes on for a while after it ends so you may want to cut all of that space out.

NO