Phantasy Star 4

HoboKa

@JenZ and I were discussing a full quadrilogy album, doing the whole original JRPG series (no Online games), and picking the best tracks i.e. not attempting to cover everything.

Would love to see this happen, but I'm tapped out at the moment...

Tentative titles were "Algol Rhythms" and "Memories of Motavia"

1 hour ago, djpretzel said:

@JenZ and I were discussing a full quadrilogy album, doing the whole original JRPG series (no Online games), and picking the best tracks i.e. not attempting to cover everything.

Oooh a DJP post :)  Hah yeah.  I need to play the first 3 still rofl.  I'd prob roll with "Organic Beat" and/or "Battle with Zio".  But knowing how many people would prob want to hop on this project I'd probably only have 1 pick.  I'll need to review the other 3 games too and see what inspires me.  

I wouldn't say you "need" to play the first 3.  They haven't aged well, and 3 was considered the low point in the series.  I've been playing 4, since so many people loved it, and honestly I don't think it lives up to modern standards the way old Final Fantasy games do.  Long, monotonous dungeons (some of which are part of a set), unmemorable characters, and the godawful decision to make all of the "technique" names completely arbitrary with no descriptions.  2 was worse--I've started it maybe 4 times and always ended up quitting at one of the "series" dungeons (the dams or the Dezo dungeons).

Music is pretty good, though.

13 hours ago, djpretzel said:

That sounds like a great idea.

11 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

I wouldn't say you "need" to play the first 3.  They haven't aged well,

Sad but true. I never finished Phantasy Star 2. The game is not bad, I just lost my motivation.

11 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

Music is pretty good, though.

Oh yes. I'd like to remix some of those songs myself, but can't.

I've played all four main games multiple times from start to finish, even going so far as to get all four endings for PSIII. I enjoyed each game, including III (gets too much shit IMO). The first game is a classic 8-bit RPG that still holds up well today. The second game's dungeons are a bit too open and make you feel bogged down as the game goes on, but overall, it's still a good game. The third game has its random encounter rate set too high, but beyond that, it's still a fun RPG to go through with how the story progresses. And lastly, the fourth game just rocks.

If an album was done, I'd love to redo my "Wounds of the Past" PS IV remix for it. Hell, I've even got a pair of PSIII remixes that I could update and throw into the pot ("Falling From the Sky" and "A Journey for Generations").

I actually liked PS3 - the title theme is BEAUTIFUL, and that helped quite a bit, but the whole marriage/branching thing actual felt novel to me, at the time.

PS2 was better BUT... those dungeons, those transporters.... (nightmares)

The problem with any new album is consistent, persistent leadership; would anyone be down for actually helming this & taking point?

10 hours ago, djpretzel said:

I actually liked PS3 - the title theme is BEAUTIFUL, and that helped quite a bit, but the whole marriage/branching thing actual felt novel to me, at the time.

PS2 was better BUT... those dungeons, those transporters.... (nightmares)

The problem with any new album is consistent, persistent leadership; would anyone be down for actually helming this & taking point?

(edit over 9000!!!) Tried my hand at that before with Legend of Dragoon and failed spectacularly...so I'd have to pass.  MindWanderer totally wants to do it though, amirite? :P Or The Coop!  And/or even DJP.

I doubt I'd be the right one to run a big project like this, especially if it was aiming for being an official OCR album project. I might be able to help people with feedback about compositions, structure, arrangement and so forth, but I'd be the wrong person to help ensure it was on par with what the site's looking for quality-wise with samples, production, mixing, etc.

A project like this would need a project leader who's more in tune with where OCR is... and yes, pun intended.

I'm trying to do one album project already, and I'm having a severe problem with attrition.  I've had maybe 2/3 of the people who claimed a track end up dropping out, and no completed tracks yet.  Probably not being sufficiently "persistent."  So you definitely don't want me running anything more right now.

Plus I'm not particularly passionate about the PSIV soundtrack anyway.  It has a few gems, but it's not really my bag, and a lack of passion in the director will trickle down to the contributors.

6 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

I'm trying to do one album project already, and I'm having a severe problem with attrition.  I've had maybe 2/3 of the people who claimed a track end up dropping out, and no completed tracks yet.  Probably not being sufficiently "persistent."  So you definitely don't want me running anything more right now.

Plus I'm not particularly passionate about the PSIV soundtrack anyway.  It has a few gems, but it's not really my bag, and a lack of passion in the director will trickle down to the contributors.

(edit) I understand that sentiment, can't really force what you don't feel haha.  What project is it you hostin', may I ask?

NVM found it :D