Link to remix: 

ReMixer name: Sleepycoaster
Email address: 
userid: 33419

Game arranged: Sonic Rush Adventure
Arrangement name: Blazing Through the Haunted Ship
Name of arranged song: Haunted Ship Act 1
Composer: Mariko Nanba
Game info: Published by Sega, developed by Sonic Team and Dimps for the Nintendo DS only, in 2007

Comments:

I started this remix because I thought Blaze the Cat is the best Sonic character, and once I finished it, I realized I was 100% right. This is a remix of Haunted Ship, the stage almost everyone picks Blaze for, since at that point you have just unlocked her and there are many shortcuts that only she can nab. A few months ago, I sat down at my computer in my PJs and thought that this track needs about 50% more action. I wanted to depict a princess doing something about the local robot pirate problem.

What would that sound like? This remix is my best guess. I upped the pace, put in some Sonic soundtrack tropes like slap and wah guitars, and spliced in Eggman's machine-like percussion style for some sections. The hand percussion got amped because that tends to happen in the Blazy Mixes in Sonic Rush.

Not much more to say, other than weird stuff started happening when I was close to finishing this remix. Some effects would disappear, the tempo began to fluctuate between playbacks, and I had to render it several times to get it to sound like I planned for it to. I think my project file might be Haunted.
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a source I know extremely well.  This arrangement is very conservative, I only hear minor writing differences between the source and the remix, and similar sounds are used.  The remix gets repetitive as well.  I would really prefer some original melodies here or there instead of the 95% verbatim I'm hearing.  I'm going to revisit this one after seeing what other Js think but I'm leaning towards this being too conservative.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/07/23 - (1N) Sonic Rush Adventure 'Blazing Through the Haunted Ship'

I agree with the joyous chimp above me.  There's not much to say here other than it's too conservative and repetitive.  The mixdown is borderline, though some of the instruments sound very exposed and mechanical.  I did like the use of the voice sample.  The section around 1:20 sounded very bare bones, and after this breakdown the track goes into repetitive mode pretty much until the end.

I think this requires more work in the arrangement side of things to make it passable.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/07/23 - (2N) Sonic Rush Adventure 'Blazing Through the Haunted Ship'

Yeah, it's DEFINITELY pretty conservative, though it does play with some of the elements.

While I agree with my fellow judges that this is really conservative, I'm not 100% sure this is TOO conservative - there are some changes to shake things up past the 1:34 mark, namely using that motif to build continuously into the source looping point - as repetitive as it can get, it DOES represent a sizable break from the source. As Sir_NutS points out, the vocal clips are used pretty spectacularly, and I especially enjoyed how they were used to bookend the track. The mixing is a bit of a mixed bag (pun may or may not be intended). Some of the elements really just shoot out of the mix (like the vocal clips in general, and the square at 0:32). These things should match the levels of the mix better overall.

This is a tough call, but if the mixing was perfect on this OR if the arrangement had some more interesting diversions from the source I'd consider passing it. Those two things together inch it away from a passing vote on my end, but I think it's close. Do send it back our way!

NO