Gerudo Valley Jazz ReMix

So, I'm not close to being done, but I wanted some advice for instrumentation and to show the idea that I have down so far. Just can't let this sit without sharing it anymore xD. But yeah. What should I do for the lead? I could get live trumpet, maybe and do some harmony work on it and stuff. But I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do with this other than just, "Hey, jazz."

What you have here I'm having difficulty categorizing in a subgenre of jazz.  It's somewhat modern sounding, but it also could easily go in a Soul or RnB direction, or even fusion.  As far as instrumentation goes, you can do literally whatever you want.  If you're going for traditional jazz, you would want to stick to the traditional instruments, trumpet, trombone, saxophone, clarinet, or tuba, but even then, that is a loose guideline, since there is no such thing as a traditional jazz instrument, just ones that are more commonly used.  I can cite many classic examples of different instruments being used effectively throughout the history of jazz.  Do keep in mind that it is REALLY easy to cling to an instrumentation and just write for it just for the sake of writing for it, kind of along the lines of "this is jazz, therefore it needs a trumpet and a saxophone" and then you can end up with really kitsch sounding product and not really understand why.  Even if you use live performers who are really good at what they do, being experienced jazz performers, if the style isn't right, it'll still sound kitsch.  I've heard quite a few people try to write a very laid back track using trumpet, saxophone, trombone, and because of the style of writing they used for those instruments it just sounded horrible.  Those work really well, there's a reason they've been so widely used, but you have to write in such a way that brings out the best qualities and not the worst.  The mentioned horrible sounding track had trumpet playing above the staff, saxophone playing in the low register, and trombone in the mid register. 

Since it seems to be a much more modern approach so far, and it feels laid back, you could add flute, flugelhorn, french horn, euphonium, or bass clarinet as a lead, and those rounder, more mellow sounds could compliment the arrangement well.  If you had access to it, you could even try something like an alto or bass flute, alto clarinet, cello, viola, or an analogue synthesizer.  The whole thing about this is having access.  If you can't find a flute player who has good experience in the jazz idiom, don't use it.  But at the same time, don't rule it out just because you assume people don't have that skill.  You'd be surprised how many people secretly have great skill.  Most decent trumpet players can double on flugel, there are a decent number of horn players who are good at jazz, and trombone players can transition to euphonium or baritone horn very easily.  I have a guy here who records trombone and euphonium for me, but recently a very good euphonium player has dedicated his life to jazz, so I usually call him now.

You don't have to stick to one instrument for a lead.  You mentioned doing trumpet, then harmonizing it.  This is a good idea.  Explore the possibility of muted trumpets, where you have the lead part with a harmon, then the harmony parts with cups or buckets.  I would also suggest experimenting with various groups.  Since this is not a live setting, you could do different instruments and not worry about balance so much because you can fix things in the mix.  I did an arrangement of Gusty Garden Galaxy as a bossa nova where I used 3 flutes, an alto flute, and a bass flute as lead, and it was a very tasty sound.  Having a flute in unison with a harmon trumpet also works really well, as well as flute lead, harmonized by clarinet or saxophone, with the lower harmonies being picked up by trombone, euphonium, horn, or bass clarinet.  If you're wanting a smaller, more intimate recording, just using flute and muted trumpet can work wonders. 

As far as source goes, the only way I know the source is because you say what the source is, but there is no other connection yet.  Flesh out the concept more.  Get a form down, where you know, this is going to be the intro, this is going to be the appearance of the source melody, this is the solo section, this is the outro.  Something like that.  Then when you go to produce something the process will be much smoother and more consistent because you can tie the sections together with common elements.

Do a lot of listening.  That's probably something you've heard a lot, but I too am telling you this.  Find a recording you really like that is similar to what you're going for and really study it.  If you can't find something exactly like what you want, find something as close as possible.  Better to get something very close to what you want, but not exact, and nail the style than go for exactly what you want and it sound like you were trying something else and missed.

I would listen to Insaneintherain on youtube if you haven't already.  I sense some similarity in what you're wanting and his direction.

TL;DR:  If you're going to use an instrumentation, find one and use it like you mean it.  Don't just pick something and justify it by saying "because that's what jazz normally is."  Write for the best parts of the instruments, and use good references.  Do a lot of listening to find something to use as a model, then think critically about what makes it sound the way it does, why you like it, why it works, and how you can apply what you learned to your own track.  Plan the arrangement before you try to produce it. 

I would gladly record french horn for you if you end up writing for it.

@JohnStacy First off, thanks for all the info! Very, very useful. Secondly, I did end up playig around with it and it started taking a different, but I'll probably make two versions of this to see which one I like better, the one I'm working on now. And then maybe a sole jazz one. Writing it out first would be much better. Lol, I've kind of just been writing stuff as I go, but I guess I should take it slower haha. I love insaneintherainmusic, been following him for a year or so. I do have a trumpet player at my disposal, but I do not have a french horn player. Although, I'm not sure what else he plays, but trumpet is certainly his most involved instrument. I think it'd be awesome if you would be willing to record something I wrote (I would just have to make sure what I write is actually good xD). 

By making 2 versions you also have the ability to pool material for future projects.  You can adapt the style to fit a different source and already have a lot of the work done.  So whichever one you like better, use that one then save the other.

I'll record anything.  Always willing to do that!  And i also can find you people to record other things.  I have access to good players of a lot of instruments.

Oh man, that's awesome! Personally I'm a piano player, so I've got that all set haha. I've got a drummer, a trumpeter, a bass player, guitarist... Not sure if any other wind or brass players that I know would be willing to record with me, I'd doubt they would be. I'll get working on making a full arrangment in jazz form before I finish this version and I'll let you know lol. I think we've got a deal xD. I wasn't expecting this today lol thank you! Really!