*NO* Quest for Glory 4 'The Music Box'

Gario

Source

-----------------

• Your ReMixer name - Aubrey Hodges
  • Your real name - Aubrey Hodges
  • Your email address - 
  • Your website - aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com (album sales) and aubreyhodges.com (info, blog etc.)
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile - 33671

• Name of game(s) arranged - Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness (QFG4)
  • Name of arrangement - Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness - Official Soundtrack
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Introduction-Prelude, Erana's Staff, Erana's Garden, Battle: Fairy, Battle: Chernovy, The Music Box 2
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) Original Composer: Aubrey Hodges, released in 1994 on PC, Mac, Amiga
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quest-for-glory-shadows-of-darkness-official-soundtrack
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. - These arrangements are part of my recent official soundtrack release that includes 42 new arrangements. I wanted to revisit this music in order to raise the quality bar that simply wasn't attainable at the time the score was originally composed. Most everything is played live and some pieces were rearranged to increase length. I tried very hard to maintain the spirit of the music but wanted to create a more nuanced and emotional delivery. The end result is far more satisfying to me and I finally feel that the score has become what I heard internally while composing so many years ago

This is certainly a lovely reinstrumentation of the original piece, and I agree that the additional instruments, mostly the guitar-like one (is that an oud?), push this over our bar as far as interpretation goes, even counting the much fuller second half of the source.

My main concern here is that the arrangement is quite static and repetitive.  The second half is nearly identical to the first, with just some different instrumental flourishes to distinguish them.  Even the halves of those halves are very similar to each other, playing the exact same melody with nearly the exact same instrumentation, with only some differences in the accompaniment.  The overall effect is four minutes of a one-minute melody, with largely similar instrumentation and energy throughout.

I think that as a 2-minute arrangement, this might have been a pass, but as it is, I don't feel like the changes the second time through are enough to hold interest.  If this were to be used in a remastered version of the original game, I think it would be a fantastic fit, and a great piece of music, but I don't believe it's what we're looking for here.

NO

Gonna have to agree here, the track is lovely and the production is on point, but the track gets really repetitive.  I would have loved some more dramatic changes, especially regarding the background bells. Altering the part throughout the track would have made a difference in my ears getting tired after (almost) 4 minutes. There are a couple times that they drop out, which definitely helps. Otherwise, having a small original section here also could have done a lot to break up the repetitions here. 

Lovely take on the theme, and I super appreciate you thinking of us with your arrangement album! Hope you submit more in the future, we'd love to hear it!

NO (resub would be loved, but not expected)

Great production, very nice interpretation of the source on this one. There is certainly an issue of the second half of the track sounding very close to the first half, though, which takes it down a bit. I hear the guitar flourishes and additional elements to make the sections stand out, but it doesn't feel like enough to make the second half sound justified.

I'm certainly in the camp of 'This would be a great 2 minute submission', though I disagree that between the first and second minute causes issue with repetition - there's more than enough flavor to keep it interesting up to the two minute mark.

Not much else to say; there's only one real issue with the track, but repeating 50% of the song (almost) verbatim is a deal breaking issue.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Quest for Glory 4 'The Music Box'
  • Liontamer locked this topic