*NO* Superman (GEN) 'Kryptonite Not Included'

Gario

I certainly never would have guessed that this source was from a Superman game!  Then again, the superhero games back then were really all over the place.

Anyway, the first thing that stands out to be about this arrangement is how repetitive it is.  0:18-0:47, 0:47-1:16, and 1:30-1:59 are all identical.  Then there's an additional half-loop from 1:59-2:13, with the last section of the song riffing on what would have been the second half of the loop.

That last section from 2:13- is also extremely busy.  Lots of conflicting instruments playing at once, all drowning each other out.  Sections like this need to have very careful EQ applied, especially when so many of the instruments share a similar spectrum (mostly in the mid-highs here).

The arrangement is also very conservative.  Up until 0:47, it's basically a cover of the original.  The bass is original (though very simple), but the melody, harmony, and percussion are all identical to the source.  The only original parts of this arrangement are a brief solo at 1:16-1:30 and the extra (busy) accompaniment from 2:13 on.

I'm sorry, but this really isn't the sort of thing we're looking for.  Try posting your remixes to our workshop forums for some advice on how to make them more interpretive and dynamic.  Good luck!

NO

Superman for the Sega Genesis? Didn't even know it existed, but it sounds like it could be better than the more... infamous installments. But I digress.

I like the style that you have going here - sounds like a blend of classic rock with some more electronic elements, and I dig that. The mixing of it is a bit questionable, though; the guitar tends to be pushed more to the back of the mix, and the bass is mixed too close to the front. When many things go at once (especially at 2:28) the mix gets very muddy, with all of the instruments fighting for the front of the mix. Figure out what elements are important and what elements should be in the background, and mix them appropriately.

The EQ balance throughout seems to also be off. It's partly because the bass is mixed so close to the front, but overall the EQ is pretty bass heavy, and lacks in the higher EQ department, which makes the track sound dull. Balance your upper EQ a bit in this track, either by using brighter instruments or raising the high EQ a bit for a few instruments; that'll give the arrangement a cleaner, crisper sound overall.

As far as the arrangement goes, MindWanderer is right: it's a bit too conservative for OCR, as it stands. While there is a nice breather section at 1:16 and some soloing lead work at 2:13, for the most part it repeats the same arrangement multiple times, which is very close to the source material. The fact that there is a lot of copy/pasta throughout also works against you, as much of the track sounds like padding due to this.

Great source, some solid performances and nice synth work throughout, but the arrangement does bar this from OCR a bit. For the future, do pay attention to your mixing and EQ balance, as well.

NO

This arrangement is indeed too conservative for OCR.  I hear a lot of copy pasta too, including a repeated rendering click on the left side (on repeated listens, I think this may be a snare hit, but regardless it sounds like a rendering click).  I dislike hard panning and there is one guitar that only ever appears on the right.  When that happens I have to stop to check if my left speaker has stopped working!  I agree with the other two gentlemen that the mixing here needs work.  When things are full and busy, everything is competing for frequency space and the whole soundscape sounds like midrange mush.  I like the concept and the performances are good, but the arrangement and mixing need some attention.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Superman (GEN) 'Kryptonite Not Included'
  • Gario locked this topic