Gario

ReMixer Name: AnalogStik
E-mail: 
User ID: 30916
Original Game: Sonic 2
Song Remixed: Chemical Plant Zone
Submission Link: 
Submission Name: Chemical Rave Zone

Note: Considering it's available for purchase, if this remix is accepted I will send you the .mp3 via Google Drive.

Description: 
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary of one of the most iconic video game characters of all time, The Materia Collective proudly presents "Mobius: Sonic the Hedgehog Remixed." Over 80 arrangers and musicians have lovingly crafted 58 tracks that reinterpret both classic and current Sonic themes into a speedy amalgamation of Rock, Orchestral, Jazz, Funk and Electronica.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/29 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Rave Zone'

Found my feet tapping while listening to this, always a good sign!  Great energy levels, solid sound.

My one big concern is that there a big chunk of copy-pasta going on: 0:27-1:43 is the same as 2:54-4:10, and 1:44-2:11 is cribbed from that part as well.  That's 103 repeated seconds out of 257, almost exactly 40% of the mix.  EDM is usually on the repetitive side, but that's a whole heck of a lot.  It ends right at the end of the repeated section, too, nothing added to close it out.  If not for the bridge and the kick being left out in the intro the second time through, this would very nearly be the same song looped twice.

Given the overall quality, and the genre, I'm nearly inclined to pass this anyway.  With just something slightly different the second time through--some different filters or effects, even some little things like SFX, I think this might be OK.  But as it is I think this falls on the side of

NO (borderline)

25 minutes ago, MindWanderer said:

Found my feet tapping while listening to this, always a good sign!  Great energy levels, solid sound.

My one big concern is that there a big chunk of copy-pasta going on: 0:27-1:43 is the same as 2:54-4:10, and 1:44-2:11 is cribbed from that part as well.  That's 103 repeated seconds out of 257, almost exactly 40% of the mix.  EDM is usually on the repetitive side, but that's a whole heck of a lot.  It ends right at the end of the repeated section, too, nothing added to close it out.  If not for the bridge and the kick being left out in the intro the second time through, this would very nearly be the same song looped twice.

Given the overall quality, and the genre, I'm nearly inclined to pass this anyway.  With just something slightly different the second time through--some different filters or effects, even some little things like SFX, I think this might be OK.  But as it is I think this falls on the side of NO (borderline)

He's got you there, John. Nice work so far, but the copy-pasta/rehashing is indeed too extensive. As far as being a sonically souped-up cover, it otherwise works very well. Add in some further variations through the writing and/or instrumentation and you've got yourself your first mixpost. :-) Let's make it happen!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/29 - (2N) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Rave Zone'

Man, I do wish MindWanderer didn't point out the excessive copy/pasta, as I think this is a great sounding arrangement... but yeah. I will note that at 2:54 the drum pattern omits the snare, which DOES give it a slightly different sound at first, but I don't think that was enough to mitigate the fact that the repetition goes on for such a long stretch of the track. The 1:44 - 211 repetition I didn't feel was nearly as offensive since it was used to lead into something different and interesting, which plays with the audiences expectations a bit.

The synths were generally pretty vanilla, but they're used to good effect in this, as they really push the rave genre forward (and it works well with the source). The dirty bass that comes in and the use of SFX for accent does wonders for the track, as well.

Great production, fun track, but the repetition at 2:54 is a deal breaker here. Thanks for sending it our way, though, and I do recommend others to listen to the Materia Collective album that this came off of, I'm certain others will enjoy it there!

NO