*NO* Legend of Mana 'I got potion!'

Gario

Hi peeps,

Game: Legend of Mana
Title: I got potion!
Orig. title: Wanderer's Path
\
I was originally working on this for a compilation aaaages ago, but I dropped off the map before it pulled together. I came back to it and thought I'd submit it. 

-

Remixer name: jane
Remixer ID: 28584
Actual name: Toby McCasker

https://twitter.com/jane_tobes

• Gario pinned this topic

Ooh, that opening contrabass sounds super fake, not a great start, and it goes on for a long time.  Then it's quite jarring going into the rock section at 0:50, which has very little low presence at all.  The highs are uncomfortably shrill, and I had to turn down my volume a lot because my ears were literally hurting.  Everything is jammed into the mid-high to high range, making the mix sound very thin as well as sharp.

I also had a hard time picking out source usage, partially because the lines carrying the melody were often covered up, but I'm personally just not willing to go through it methodically checking for source, because I find it so uncomfortable to listen to.  Besides, the mixing is more than enough to make this a

NO

Heading straight into production, your starting (0:24) acoustic guitar is too strong in its high frequencies, causing some unpleasant piercing peaks which needs a low-pass filter and or EQ to tame it. At 0:50 when the electric guitar comes in the lead has some similar issues - not as severe but they are there and could with similar EQ treatment.

The rhythm guitar is not bad but shares a little too much low with bass and kick. Bass sounds mostly like a rumble behind everything. This is creating a muddiness across the track.

Drums are quite well done, especially your fills incorporating toms. At 3:40 there are a couple of hiccups that are quite noticeable though.

As far as arrangement goes - while the progression is interesting with changes of pace and rhythm, I'm sharing MindWander's concern about the source being difficult to hear through the different parts playing. I can feel the "vibe" of the source occasionally peaking its head but it's quite difficult to make out full melodies from the original even after a few trips back to the source tune.

Tough to fully evaluate this without a source breakdown from the artist. However purely at a production level this needs work to tame those frequencies and balance the parts more appropriately with each other so the mix is able to breathe. On this basis it's a

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/02/15 - (2N) Legend of Mana 'I got potion!'
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic

That bass at the start doesn't sound very natural, there isn't a natural flow from one note to the next, instead they cut each other, which sounds jarring.  Going into the mix, the balance is off in almost every section.  I think Jive does a great job pointing out the issues here and I agree with his observations.  There are some piercing frequencies in the highs that are very noticeable, and sometimes the lead guitar goes into the background (1:52) because the drums and bass (and I'm guessing, a pad) are overpowering them.  

I did like the drum work you did here, it certainly keeps the arrangement interesting.  On the arrangement front I didn't have many issues, I can hear the source enough to believe that this doesn't need to be source-checked, but the production needs to be addressed first because it's a very big issue.

NO