Reef Palace Of Hidden Lava

DJ H0us3C0rP3

Trying my hand at Electronica with possible my favorite S&K song of all time... Lava Reef / Hidden Palace Zone! S3&K was my favorite game and first game I ever owned (Yes I had both the S&K lock-on cartige and Sonic 3) growing up so I figured why not tip my hat to the game that made me love video games. Keep doing Great things SEGA!

Really like this track. Love the FM bass growls and the synth lead. Out of the works of yours floating around on the forum, this is probably my favorite.

As much as I like the lead, I feel like it wears a little thin by the time the halfway point of the song arrives. Maybe trying to layer or switch to another lead might keep things interesting. Kick also feels a tad weak, so maybe boost that a smidgen.

Can't wait for the next update. :)

On 2/18/2017 at 9:38 PM, Starphoenix said:

Really like this track. Love the FM bass growls and the synth lead. Out of the works of yours floating around on the forum, this is probably my favorite.

As much as I like the lead, I feel like it wears a little thin by the time the halfway point of the song arrives. Maybe trying to layer or switch to another lead might keep things interesting. Kick also feels a tad weak, so maybe boost that a smidgen.

Can't wait for the next update. :)

hey thanks man. This song was stuck in development hell for like a year and a half because I couldn't find the right sounds for it plus I had no idea what I was doing back then lol. Now that I worked on other styles I think I have found my two main styles: Dance Hall/Electronic like this track and Chillstep. The middle part is funny cause I change from the Act 1 theme to Hidden palace zone and wanted a more chill out kinda feel so I took the edge off the lead (which is two different instruments) but maybe I do need a new one for that part :|. I thought the kick was fine but then again I am still using craptastic headphones so your probley right about maybe adding a midbass booster on it. Anyways, thanks again man. 

EVAL

Well, this was a pretty full of energy! You got some nice, meaty drums, the side chaining to really back them up, and the glitchy, something-step sound overall does the source wonders.

I think the main thing that I will comment on is that your lead has a bit too much portamento to it. When it's really juiced up on the portamento the notes often just sound flat rather than sliding to them properly. As a rule of thumb, if the note spent more time sliding than it did on the note, it's not going to be recognized as that note, so tone it down when it's supposed to be landing on the notes (like at 1:36 - it sounds pretty rough there). I will also note that it would be nice to hear at least one other instrument used as a lead from time to time, as that lead starts to wear on you after nearly five minutes.

Otherwise, I think you have something worth submitting, here. It'd be a borderline case even as is, but if you take Starphoenix and my word for the lead and switch it out once or twice for something else, and tweak the portamento where it makes the lead sound too swanky I think you'll have a pretty solid chance at getting posted. :)