Chrono Trigger - Schala's Perc

Shenkenstein

Here's the first of two video game arrangements I did for my indoor drumline a few years ago. I needed it to be easy enough for high school students to play, so that's one of the reasons it's only about a minute and half long. This one ended up sounding pretty decent after adjusting the attack/decay and environment settings, compared to the other one I just posted. But it feels too short. Also, I'm fully aware this theme has been done to oblivion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcvwd1u6ev14wic/Schala's Perc (Chrono Trigger).mp3?dl=0

I like the arrangement of the work.  The instrumentation sounds good.  Is this all recorded live?  The recording levels and/or mixing could definitely use some tweaking to make some of the parts sound a bit more clear, but I do like the take on this source.  As for length, I wonder if it could be looped/repeated with perhaps a bridge at some point to connect three passages (?).  Keep up the good work.

9 hours ago, Nitwit said:

I like the arrangement of the work.  The instrumentation sounds good.  Is this all recorded live?  The recording levels and/or mixing could definitely use some tweaking to make some of the parts sound a bit more clear, but I do like the take on this source.  As for length, I wonder if it could be looped/repeated with perhaps a bridge at some point to connect three passages (?).  Keep up the good work.

My input: never, ever loop, copy/paste, repeat something for the sake of making it longer. Always try to come up with something new. Looping just makes things bland.

Hey thanks both of you for the feedback so far!

10 hours ago, Nitwit said:

They did perform it live, but I didn't get a good recording of it and there were still more mistakes than I would've been happy with putting as a proper remix.

1 hour ago, Ridiculously Garrett said:

My input: never, ever loop, copy/paste, repeat something for the sake of making it longer. Always try to come up with something new. Looping just makes things bland.

Duly noted. In theory though, some amount of looping more or less has to happen. For example, in my piece the vibraphone plays much of the same thing, with a couple variations, the whole time. If I get your implication right, though, you're referring more to the blatant copy and paste mechanic than looping something while changing something else. Right?

Essentially. I play piano, so if I were to do something with that, say a chord progression or rhythm, or anything really. I'd play through it once, but then the second time I might change the voicings or switch up the rhythm just to make it less "the same as before." Just keeps the listener engaged, really. Looping stuff isn't inherantly bad, if there's something that needs to keep a certain rhythm or feeling/emotion. What I see, though, sometimes is just people looping something to get "more" song.