Remixer- That Andy Guy
Name- Andrew Masson

http://soundcloud.com/that-andy-guy
user ID: 29681

Game Remixed:  Chip's Challenge (PC)
Name of Arrangement:  "Da Funk do you Know Bout Chip"
Song Remixed:  Chip 2 
Link to original music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOFHqPMDXo
note:  I couldn't find any concrete info on the original composer, but if you may know, then be sure to share that with me

I played this game entirely too much when we got our first computer when I was around 6 years old.  This music has stuck with me since then and I figured a funky spin on the tune would be a good fit.  That and the title of the track kind of drives home the fact that not too many people I know have even played the game, but hopefully fans of the game come out of hiding to enjoy this mix!

A neat little arrangement that manages to have a lot of fun with a very simple source.

My one big gripe would be with the percussion.  It's heavily loaded in the highs, to the point of being a little piercing.  The sticks are the worst offender here, but the clap and snare are up there, too.  The tambourine is up there, too, but tambourines are supposed to be pretty high anyway.

The piano is a little bit on the mechanical side, too, but since this is such a synth-heavy mix, I don't feel that's a major issue.  And I don't think the percussion EQ is enough to bring this otherwise solid mix down.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/05 - (1Y) Chip's Challenge 'Da Funk Do You Know About Ship'

I got a kick out of how gosh darn funky this whole track is. It's bouncy, it's clever, and it shows that the arranger had a lot of love for this relatively unknown track. I gotta respect that - always puts a smile on my face. :)

MindWanderer is right in calling the piano mechanical. In the beginning it's pretty cringe worthy, since it's so exposed, but as the track develops it fits with the rest of the arrangement. Some dynamics would've helped ease the listener into the track better, but it's not really a focal point of the arrangement, either. I can let it slide.

The production is pretty slick. I can hear what MW is saying about the highs, but they don't quite bug me as much. It could be just me, though.

Great work!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Piano is certainly stiff - humanisation on some of the notes would've made this feel better, especially considering the chords play underneath the entire track from beginning to end. Nice choice of percussion, they are a little heavy in the highs but it's more of a sizzle than a pierce (a good thing). Good production quality across the board, all parts are clear. Agree with the others that you've taken the source into a lot of fun territory, with a great mix of house chords and synth licks. Mix doesn't overstay its welcome - in fact it felt a tad short, but I feel it achieves all it needs to in the duration. Overall I'm ok with this one, the stiff piano does pose some problems but the others aren't holding it back for this and I don't feel strongly enough that this needs revision. Solid fun arrangement.

YES

Dat 90's box art is amazing.

Not gonna beat a dead horse on the piano sequencing; as mentioned, it's not nearly as noticable with other elements in play.  Love the groove when it kicks in around :18.  Nice bass work, though it's a bit obscured because it's very low-end/subby.  Some higher end presence on it would allow it to shine out better.

Also agreed on the high end sizzling a bit too much on the percs.  Something that could be easily fixed in the future.

Nice writing work.  Good idea on changing the more rigid syncopation on the original piano(?) to something more swing-y.  Clear adaptation of the original with a lot of great personalization.

Nice work on the lead synth.  This is just a super cool track, nothing else to say.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/05 - *YES - TAG* Chip's Challenge 'Da Funk Do You Know 'Bout Chip'
  • Nutritious locked this topic

Just chiming in after the fact that I agree the arrangement is a pass, but I more of a conditional YES on toning down the highs. The "tss" sound first brought in at :37 was pretty sizzly and piercing on headphones. And from :53-1:11 & 1:46-2:04, the "tss" is too loud over the melodic stuff, IMO. I'll reach out to Andy and see if it's something that can be tweaked. Poo on the piano being mechanical, though it's not a huge deal once other elements came in the fill out the soundscape. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/05 - *YES - TAG* Chip's Challenge "Da Funk Do You Know 'Bout Chip?"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic