OCR03691 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Aquapump"

Gario

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Sonic The Hedgehog 3
  • Aquapump
  • Hydrocity Act 1
  • "After joining the Materia Collective (https://www.facebook.com/MateriaCollective) and having done several pieces of music with them, an opportunity popped up to do some work on a Sonic album. Hydrocity has been sat in my WIP's since 2013 roughly, and I'd never progressed past the original iconic melody. So I challenged myself, this song HAD to be on this album. No questions.

The result is what you hear now! Come at me Sonic, time for some more!"

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/18 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Aquapump'

Another great PirateCrab remix, although this one is a lot more conservative than his earlier mixposts.  After a brief intro and warmup, it basically loops through the source twice, very conservatively.  The first loop has a little bit of added accompaniment, and of course the percussion is much more filled out than the original, but otherwise it's pretty much a cover.  The second loop takes some additional creative liberties, but still doesn't take things too far afield.  it breaks into original content at 2:26, followed by a fairly stylized version of the ending.

I don't have any other concerns.  The cymbals are a little muffled, but otherwise I'm happy with the production.

So... this feels close to me.  The first loop is probably too conservative, the last minute definitely isn't.  The second loop is awfully close to the first one, at least once the rhythm guitar joins in at 0:46.  I think I would have been completely happy if 0:28-1:31 were simply not there--it would have left the mix a little short, but not too short, and that conservative section being repeated so closely is the whole issue.  But the second loop isn't precisely the same way as the first, with a different take and slightly different accompaniment and a few melodic flourishes, so I'm just falling on the side of

YES (borderline)

Simple, but it has a certain 'classic rock' swing to it that I can get behind that's complimented with a deep, heavy tone throughout. Conservative, but definitely a different feeling from the source, there - even in the earlier portions of the track I had no issues with it. The latter portion of the track does a great job playing with the material, though, and is certainly the strongest point of the arrangement.

Production is just where it needs to be for something like this, so there's not much else I can say other than rock on, PirateCrab. Rock on.

YES

With both the dynamic contrast and melodic interpretation, this could have went more places, but I agreed with Gario that there's 0 issue here with the arrangement possibly being too conservative. It's melodically close, sure, but the adaptation to rock is expansive and personalized, and that's all we need. You also have some brief but effectively written original sections there in between the uses of the source tune to glue it all together. Great energy in your arrangement and performances, Daniel!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/18 - (3Y) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Aquapump'
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2016/10/18) *YES - TAG* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Aquapump'
  • Liontamer locked this topic