OCR03514 - *YES* Command & Conquer (PS1) "Re-act"

Gario

Hi Guys

Remixer name: ScandalJayKneel

https://soundcloud.com/jackdensleymusic (Website in the making, but this is all I've got currently)

Game: Command and Conquer (1995)
Name of arrangement: Re-Act
Song arranged: Act on Instinct
Original composer: Frank Klepacki

Featuring OC remixer Laarx on guitars!

This was the first game that I ever owned, strangely enough on the PS1 but was available over several different platforms. This song will always hit the nostalgia button so I wanted to pay tribute. I wanted to show what the main themes in this song could really be like if the production side was stepped up. With this in mind I wanted to make the song heavier, changing the original key down a tone, introducing some electronic elements and some chip tune; the chip tune synths are used to double the guitars and add texture. The way the song was going i wanted the drums be like Chris Adler from Lamb of god and some sections with the guitars to sound like Slayers Raining Blood. This was definitely achieved. Good friend and OC remixer Laarx helped out by playing the guitars on this track and really captured what I was asking of him and also he contributed to a lot of the layering and harmony in the chorus and ending solos. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. I look forward to any feedback. 

Kind Regard

Interesting use of the gritty synths.  Sometimes it's extremely effective; I liked it a lot when it was used overtly in the intro, and later on when used as an intermittent effect.  I have mixed feelings about its use as a bass, though--it introduced some staticky noise that I didn't feel was really necessary.  It was clearly an intentional aesthetic decision, though, and I don't think it substantially detracted from what the arrangement was trying to do.

The ending is a little weaksauce, just kind of stopping after a phrase, but the source does exactly the same thing.

Otherwise, I think this is pretty solid.  Obviously Laarx knows what he's doing, and you two did a great job of turning this sort of passive backing music into a driving, in-your-face rock theme.

YES

Not much to add to this - it's a touch conservative, but it does pull out some nice metal idioms (like the 1:12 pause in energy before the rhythm guitar drops again, for example) that makes this feel pretty distinct from the source. The production is pretty solid, and the performances are great.

It's a solid metal arrangement that does what it needs to do, and it does it well. Not much more to say - great work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/24 - (2Y) Command & Conquer 'Re-act'

Nice intro buildup of guitars with accompanying blips. Arrangement is solid, and production elements . Guitars carry a nice amount of low end without taking over (most of the time). At 1:18 things get too busy, with most parts becoming drowned out by the guitars (this happens when this section repeats again at 1:57). These areas could've done with more clarity and IMO are not well mixed compared to the rest of the track and are the main drawback of the mix. Apart from these sections you've done a decent job to keep the parts separated from each other which wouldn't have been easy with the variety of tones you have here. Overall a decent mix, although the busy sections should've been mixed better. You can convey power without drowning out other parts. Had these sections taken up more of the mix it would've definitely been a deal breaker.

YES

Ahh Command & Conquer.  My first online multiplayer experience.  And by online I mean dialing out friend's

Pretty in your face right off the bat.  Definitely captures the C&C vibe - it's never in question what is being remixed here with lots of source usage throughout.

Overall, production is pretty solid.  Things do start to get cluttered in the bridge-type sections 1:15 & 1:54 with the heavy rhythm guitars competing with the sustained notes and lead for space.  This gets compounded with the sequenced synths that also come in at 2:13, though this was a short section in the overall track.  Personally, I would've traded a bit of volume from the rhythm guitars to try and achieve a bit more power and clarity of the drums.

Overall, despite some mixing issues, solid powerful stuff here.  Great job.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03514 - *YES* Command & Conquer (PS1) "Re-Act"
  • Nutritious locked this topic
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03514 - *YES* Command & Conquer (PS1) "Re-act"