Zelda II - Do You Need A Light?

Platonist

Hello again!

I was cleaning out some of my files and I found this almost finished Zelda II remix that I had forgotten about (from late 2016). So I added an intro and uploaded it!
Can't submit it yet, since I just submitted my Final Fantasy remix, but I will as soon as the sub cool down is over.
Comments & Feedback appreciated :)

Cheers!

The first few seconds of intro, on first listen, sounded really... naked? But the moment the beat starts to switch and filter, I'm settled.

0:31- sounds like you accidentally had a channel active with the single drum play that isn't connected to anything else in that passage; I was expecting drums to start playing from filter, up to full strength. What you have at 0:53 is fine, but if 0:31 isn't a mistake, maybe something can be done with it?

The only other thing I can think of is fading the ending a bit more; you start a fade then the song cuts off.

3 hours ago, Uberwulf X said:

The first few seconds of intro, on first listen, sounded really... naked? But the moment the beat starts to switch and filter, I'm settled.

0:31- sounds like you accidentally had a channel active with the single drum play that isn't connected to anything else in that passage; I was expecting drums to start playing from filter, up to full strength. What you have at 0:53 is fine, but if 0:31 isn't a mistake, maybe something can be done with it?

The only other thing I can think of is fading the ending a bit more; you start a fade then the song cuts off.

Hello! First off, thanks for the feedback! 0:31 was not a mistake, it's all as it should be. It's a halftime, single iteration of the main beat, maybe just to troll the listener a little and keep it interesting :P

I don't know what you mean by naked, could you elaborate? Like, lack of reverb or modulation?

The fading was also on purpose, I wanted it to cut off abruptly, since the entire track is so short I felt like a long outro would feel out of place.

No problem, glad to lend an ear.

I can see what you mean with the end. When I say "fade," I mean let the ambience and reverb settle around the song. Like, once the last notes stop playing, give it one or two seconds while quickly fading out the whole thing, so all the settling reverb quickly settles into the silence you want. As it is, it sounds like it almost made it through the door but had the tip of its heel sliced.

I'm going to stick to my opinion of the beat at 0:31, but if you're sure about it, consider me trolled.

I'm going to retract my crit about the opening few seconds and apologize; I've been working on and listening to music all day so my ears were a bit tuned to a different genre. I've relistened to the intro several times and it's fine. My concern was indeed with the lack of reverb of modulation but I very well know that's the point, you've gotta have it a little plain so the actual work is more appreciated.

However I'm going to replace that with the fact that I'm actually having a hard time picking out the source melody or melodies. Sounds like the Zelda 1 dungeon and Fairy Spring song from the series, but the picture hints at the castle themes. Mind telling me what the source is?

Sure! It's the main battle music (not castle) that plays in woods, fields & caves. It hasn't been remixed a lot (despite being quite catchy imo). 
And the zelda 1 reference is on purpose, I've included it in all my zelda remixes so far (in one way or another) The arp isn't included in the source, so it's my take on the chord progression.
And yes, I understood what you meant with the abrupt cut at the end, I consciously set the master volume to 00 for that effect.

9 hours ago, Uberwulf X said:

you've gotta have it a little plain so the actual work is more appreciated.

that's an interesting point, I didn't think of it like that. I have a thing for music that's a bit mechanical and "naked", though, as you said. :)