Main theme for a fantasy project

Klingsor

Hi there,

I spent the last days working on this little tune...

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=674265

...a somewhat rhythmically driven (almost march-like) medieval/fantasy theme soundtrack theme. It's build upon a (hopefully) heroic melody and is intended to accompany the travel montage of a fantasy epic (game/film). If you have some handy tips, especially concerning the mix, please do not hesitate to share your insights. :)

Best regards

Dustin

Edited by Klingsor

• 2 months later...

Since I wasn't entirely satisfied with the MIDI-based recording of my orchestral version I transcribed it for solo piano. I tried to stay as true as possible to the original orchestral version, especially in keeping the bass ostinato as well as the off-beat fills for pizzicato strings beneath the melody vocings. Maybe one or two of you here find it interesting to watch all the different voices in action. Hope you'll enjoy.

Obviously the piano version sounds much nicer and full of energy, but the original orchestral version is pretty good too.

What stood out immediately to me is that there isn't much in the way of dynamics. The song is pretty much the same volume throughout. Notice how in your piano rendition various parts have more attack and volume to them than others. I would try to invoke more of that feeling in the original.

Also, the drums are very weak, especially once the music picks up and gets intense, a lot of that intensity is lost in the fact that the drums are not very punchy or bassy. Some of the other instruments need more punch and attack to them as well, but that could be a limitation of the samples you are using.

The arrangement itself is very nice and flows well. Its more on the production side that the song could be improved. It has a fantastic melody and I could totally picture this in a game like Skyrim! Great job!

Hey, Cerrax, thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it. Yes, your absolutely right: The volume and attack of the accompanying voices, especially the percussion and drum tracks, are much too homegenous. For my next mixing projects I will take greater attention in that regard. Thanks! :)

• 11 months later...

At last, here is the complete film excerpt, to which this piece as well as two more cues were originally written:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Op4EXgQk0

The film itself is obviously very trashy and extremely LOW-BUDGET (shot in 2005 with a discounter camcorder), but I was primarily interested in the opportunity to finally write film music in the musically incredibly rewarding fantasy genre.
Hope you'll enjoy it! :)

• 4 weeks later...