*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'The Light at the End (Radio Edit)' *PROJECT*

Gario

I copied and pasted my comments I submitted for the album:

I was eyeing this Sonic album for quite some time, hoping to have time to jump in on a source somewhere - more specifically, a source meaningful to me. Thankfully, that opportunity presented itself when Chernabogue requested to drop the Sonic 3 credits theme and take on the S3 final boss theme instead. Jorito and Black_Doom had specified that any credits theme from any Sonic game could be chosen for the album, but they were *really* hoping to get a ReMix for the S3 credits theme, specifically. Seeing as this source has always been a favorite of mine, I seized the opportunity and created this epic/soaring progressive trance mix, doing my best to include lots of creative twists and ideas. (I also threw in, a la jazzy-Rexy style, the melodies from the opening themes from Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, as well as the beginning melody from the Sonic & Knuckles ending theme.) It's been 4.5 years since my first serious attempt at progressive trance, and judging from how well this remix turned out, I'd say I've grown quite a bit :)

Like I said above, the S3 credits theme is one of my favorites, primarily because of how it makes me feel: accomplished, excited, hopeful, looking forward to what's next, etc. A very "I did it!" feeling, if you will, like you've made it through a very difficult ordeal. I've been dealing with many, many hardships in my life lately, so this source is even more meaningful to me now, and this is hopefully represented in the celebratory, joyous tone I attempted to create; that's also why I chose the title I did.

Hope you enjoy :)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/11/12 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'The Light at the End (Radio Edit)'

This sounds like it's been improved since the last album eval, but it still sounds overly wet and crowded.  1:44-1:57 is still too crowded to make out the individual instruments, especially the lead; 2:59-3:30 is also still too crowded and is also overcompressed; 4:09-5:07 is also a little crowded and overcompressed.

I'm also still not a fan of the lead synth that comes in at 1:04, which sounds like microphone feedback.  That might just be personal preference, though.

I like the arrangement a lot--the creativity and energy are fantastic.  But the production still needs some work.  I'd start by killing your reverb and delay entirely, then add them back in gradually until it's just enough to achieve the depth of sound you want.  Maybe lower the volume on the pads and sweeps as well; I feel like they're adding a lot of the muddiness, too.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Agreeing a lot with MW here. The track overall feels pretty wet, and when there is more going on it starts to sound like a lot of mud overall. Also agreed that the lead at 1:04 (and the horn lead later) is really basic and bland sounding compared to the rest of what's going on. It's playing the note really straight, and even something like some vibrato would make a difference there, but I think a different synth might overall fit better regardless. 

The energy of the track is pretty good overall, and the structure makes sense. The quieter section in the middle is a nice contrast, and I think you can bring it down more to crescendo back into the theme for a more dramatic effect. I also think the track might go on a bit long for the sections you have, and maybe something like a countermelody, or shortening some of the sections will help the track transition and keep interest better. That may be personal taste, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think it's on the right track here, but needs work yet. Good luck!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the issues here are pretty clear.  Extremely muddy and wet mix.  There's this wishy-washy effect that permeates the track and just affects every other effect you have put on it, from compressors to eq, it's messing up everything.  If you want my advice, start from scratch with 0 delay, reverb, long tails, or ambience effects, dimisnish the prescence of your pads, and start adding them back little by little on the parts you think need more depth or sound too empty.  Look for reference tracks, reference tracks are a huge help on getting your mix right.  Right now everything feels like it's coated in something sticky, even your build-up snare rolls sound muffled.

Other than that, I think the choice of lead synth at 2:45 is dubious.  I would've expected something with more energy after the pretty decent buildup you crafted before it, but this long attack, brassy synth is a bit of a let down there.  Try some other presets that make that section sound like a proper climax.

This isn't quite ready yet, IMO:

NO