*NO* Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Get Silly'

Gario

NoTuX

Damon Campbell

Submission Information:

Super Mario World 2:  Yoshi's Island
Title Screen (Yoshi Island), original:  https://youtu.be/grVbhes4ceY?list=PL5D8399FA91008F97

maxresdefault.jpg

Music: Yoshi Island Composer: Koji Kondo Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL5D8399FA91008F97 Platform: Super Nintendo

Composer:  Koji Kondo

Direct link:

This mix is the second song that I completed for my little solo project "My Happy Place."  It was inspired by one of the kiddie shows my daughter watches (maybe Yo Gabba Gabba?)  There's so many, I can't even remember which one it was.  Anyway, it is meant to be a fun little mix with a funky flava to it, the complete opposite of my "Plastic Smile" mix.  I threw in some sound effects and elements from the game for the sake of nostalgia and I think it all worked out pretty well for the mood I was trying to set with this one:  Life's too short to be serious all the damn time.

I hope you guys enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed making it.

Peace, and thank you!

Well, this is certainly interesting and creative.  For all the wacky stuff in it, though, it's a very static arrangement.  The percussion and the squeaky arp are pretty much on autopilot the whole time.  The growling bass isn't quite as static, but close.  It's also pretty repetitive on the larger scale: 2:14-3:04 is very close to a copy of 0:40-1:28--I think there are some slight differences, but they're very subtle--and the intro is 30 seconds of very small variations on a 2-second pattern.  I think this needs more variety in terms of accompanying instrumentation at least, and more change-ups in the lead for the second pass wouldn't hurt either.

NO

• 1 month later...

I agreed with MindWanderer on the track feeling static and on auto-pilot overall. 1:54 did bring in that added synth line and SFX, but that wasn't much. This needs more dynamic contrast and less repetition.

Besides that, there's too much high end here, and the track's too bright and shrill as a result.

Now, I get that the track's supposed to sound jacked from 1:30-1:54 to allude to the game, but that doesn't make it any less unpleasent to listen to. :-D I'll live, but we'll see what other Js say.

Also, I felt this was texturally too thin and could have used some other element to fill out the soundscape, so consider adding something else and see if it could work for you.

Good base so far, Damon!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/11/02 - (2N) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Get Silly'

Pretty much a repeat of above. The track sounds repetitive in both the sounds and overall arrangement, some more variations in the parts like rhythms would make a difference here to start. Maybe another section to break up the arrangement would help as well. I'm also going to agree that the 'Get Dizzy' idea is fun in theory, but really isn't making the track palatable. Your call in the end, but I'd consider nixing it. That being said, I wish you had expanded more on the section right before the 'Dizzy' section. That's when the arrangement really started to flesh out and I'd love more in that direction!

You've got a start here, but it definitely needs work.

NO (resubmit)