*NO* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 'Covert Chaos'

Gario

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/11/17 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 'Covert Chaos'

Fun stuff! It's a little lacking in the low end, but not too badly.  Some might find the fake guitar off-putting, but TMNT is all about that fake guitar, so it works for me. That ending is pretty rough, though, just cutting out at the end of a loop like that.

As much as I dislike that ending, I think that even combined with the lack of bass, this arrangement is strong enough for a

YES

• 1 month later...

Lots of cheeze flowing from this arrangement, just how I like my Sewer Surfin' remixes. Then again, seriously, sewer surfing, that's just nasty...

Anyway! The synths in this are clean and easy to hear, which is always a great thing. The arrangement, while not taking itself too seriously does have an easy to follow structure, and it knows when to hold back to keep things interesting. It's clean, and a lot of fun, to boot.

I'm not sold on the instrumentation on this quite yet, though. The synths are purposefully cheezy, but the most prominent of them sound dry and thin. The backing arpeggio is certainly wet enough, but the other synths don't fill the space very well. Due to how active the synths are it's not a crushing issue, but giving the dry thin synths a little reverb would help fill the soundscape better.

Be careful with how the guitar syncs in this. The sample seems to be a click off from time to time to time (like at 0:47). It's distracting, especially since it's often doubled by a synth that's on point. The lead work at 1:38 - 1:46 throws me off, like it's noodling out of key a bit, so pay attention to that. That ending is... yeah. Don't end it on an unresolved chord like that; it makes the track sound unfinished.

It's very close to a YES on my part, but all of those smaller issues add up, for me. Make sure your guitar rhythms are tightened up, give this a proper ending and be careful with the noodling to make sure it doesn't just sound strange. It's a fun piece, but I'm not sold on it yet.

NO

Whoa... dat opening. Well, I'll be honest, it sounds flimsy and slightly atonal to start, but we'll see where it goes. OK, well, things continue to build at :10 as more parts are introduced, and it's still not sounding melodious. Finally at :31, we're done with whatever weird writing that made this sound wonky.

At :31, a groove comes in that's very basic, vanilla, and repetitive. As far as the source tune itself, it's handled very conservatively when it arrives at :32, but you did at least make it sound different from the source instrumentation. To me, there still needed to be more in the arrangement approach differentiating this from the original, but this at least went in the right direction.

The dropoff at 1:15 was definitely needed, and it gave you an opportunity to add in some original writing with the descening bubbly line, followed by some comping-style stuff with that synth lead from 1:30-1:56.

I liked the addition of the guitar at 1:56; it did sound a touch behind, but it wasn't a big deal to me, and it provided a nice layer to flesh out the soundscape; I'd even argue it should have been louder.

The changeup at 2:30 for a second was odd, and the track did have a very weak finish that wasn't much of a resolution.

I agreed with Gario on the instrumentation mostly sounding dry and thin; you don't have to swing the pendulum the other way and make it muddy and cluttered, but the sound needs more body to it.

This needs more production polish to flesh out the sounds, the beats should be more varied and lend more energy to the piece, and you need a real ending. Decent start so far, Tom, but make sure you execute with the detail work.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/11/17 - (1Y/2N) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 'Covert Chaos'
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Larry hits a lot of the crits really well here; The mix overall has a bit too much dryness, and overall sounds a bit thin as a result. Some extra backing pads to fill out the structure might also help the situation, but definitely be careful to not over clutter. The arrangement gets better as the track moves on, and I'd love more of that earlier on. Larry also mentions the drums being pretty static, and some fills would really help augment the melody here. Ending is a bit abrupt, but I didn't find it to be the worst. Maybe stretching it a little could help? Not too sure there.

On the right track here, but needs some more to go. Check out our WIP boards if you haven't already to get a little more feedback and send this back our way!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this sounds pretty vanilla and dry.  Gario and Larry nailed the issues well here, the drum groove is as basic as it gets, and though later is filtered out, I think it doesn't do enough to keep things fresh.  The original did more with the drum writing to keep things in line with the arrangement, even.  Ending was a bit sudden but, it could've worked in a better crafted song.  The mix though, has this sense of emptiness even though it does have enough elements to fill up a track, it just needs some kind of padding or reverb to fill up the gaps.  The bass also felt very bland to me.  I think this needs several production passes to get it over the bar, bringing the whole mix together with sounds that sound less cheesy and fill up the spectrum more, and with more intricate drum sequencing/detailing.

NO