Studio Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 or Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new set of studio headphones since my current set of DT990's didn't survive my most recent move.  While I am most likely going to pick up another pair of them at some point I am also looking into the Sennheiser HD 650's since Sennheiser is known for having some of the most durable gear out there today.  As a traveler who moves every few months I would like something more likely to survive my current lifestyle. The DT 990's came recommended by many people here but does anyone have any experience with Sennheiser's HD 650?  Is it worth nearly double the price? 

Before anyone asks, the closest guitar center is a few hours away. Right now i'm out in the middle of nowhere in Texas.  

I would probably get a closed pair of headphones for mixing and mastering, since it has better low end response. The wide soundstage on the open headphones mostly good for mixing and setting your stereo image up. But I would go with a good pair of closed headphones with a replaceable cable. I heard the SRH1540 from Shure are an amazing choice for around the same price as the HD 650.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:19 AM, Zubaru said:

I would probably get a closed pair of headphones for mixing and mastering, since it has better low end response. The wide soundstage on the open headphones mostly good for mixing and setting your stereo image up. But I would go with a good pair of closed headphones with a replaceable cable. I heard the SRH1540 from Shure are an amazing choice for around the same price as the HD 650.

Already have a closed pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's.  Wouldn't use them for mixing an entire track but I do use them for recording and tweaking the lows.  I bought those suckers 8 or 9 years ago and they have outlasted just about everything.  For that reason I decided to go with Sennheiser HD 600's which seem to be a step above the Beyerdynamic DT990s.  Sennheiser Veil be damned!  

Seriously though their frequency response graph on headphones.com was extremely impressive for something that's only $288.00.

I have a pair of HD600s because I didn't want the slightly brighter response of the HD650s, but my little brother has a pair of HD650s. They sound like HD600s except that they titled the response to the highs and took out some of the lows IMO. Granted I got the HD600s mainly for their midrange response though.

On 03/14/2017 at 1:56 AM, Garpocalypse said:

Already have a closed pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's.  Wouldn't use them for mixing an entire track but I do use them for recording and tweaking the lows.  I bought those suckers 8 or 9 years ago and they have outlasted just about everything.  For that reason I decided to go with Sennheiser HD 600's which seem to be a step above the Beyerdynamic DT990s.  Sennheiser Veil be damned!  

Seriously though their frequency response graph on headphones.com was extremely impressive for something that's only $288.00.

Ahahaha, I see. That's fair enough, I didn't know you had a good closed pair already. Thankfully there are some headphones that just last forever (my AKG cans). I think HD600 was the right choice between the two.