Contact Information

• ReMixer name: ChaoSynthesizer
  • userID on forum : 29189

Submission Information

• original game: Final Fantasy VIII
  • arrangement name: The Man With The Synthesizer
  • song name: The Man with the Machine Gun
  • Composed by Nobuo Uematsu
  • I always play the main song theme while goofing around in the studio, so I ended up recording the solo then adding the arrangements, it's a simple electronic remix

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/01/12 - Final Fantasy 8 'The Man with the Synthesizer'

I like a lot about this trance-y take on one of my favorite sources, but what we have here is a loop.  0:16 is the start of the loop, and at 1:50 it returns to that, repeating itself verbatim one full time before fading out.  That's not the type of arrangement we look for.

It's also quite quiet.  I see almost 2dB of headroom that you could be using.  You don't need to balance it all the way up to 0dB, but I have to turn up my volume quite a bit to hear it well at all.

Otherwise, this is pretty good stuff.  If the second half branched off into something more creative and interpretive, this could well have been a solid mixpost.  I hope we hear more from you!

NO

Huh, no kidding on the precision of the loop, there, and it doesn't help that the ending fades out on was appears to be another loop. That pretty much bars it from a front page post, but I will mention that I think the style was pretty chill, with a nice bit of oldschool synthwork throughout. Some of the lead work branches out into some new territory, but it never feels out of place - all great qualities of a ReMix.

This could easily be developed into something great to post on OCR if past the 1:50 mark things were done to differentiate the track from the first half (new lead work, different instrument orientations from time to time, perhaps a different section, etc.), but as it stands there's too much padding to the track with that loop. Fun track, and hopefully you'll make some tweaks and send it back our way!

NO

Ah, this one is kind of a bummer.  I was enjoying the arrangement and soundscape, which although rather simple it was being executed well.  That being said, the artificial extension of the arrangement by looping the first minute and a half is not something we want in an ocremix... and a fadeout outro is something I personally discourage, I think you could do better than that.  The arrangement showed promise, but we need a real development past the ideas presented here, add a real second section to this with its own development and ideas so we'll take a second look at it.  

Aside from that, I think the transition at 1:35 could be smoothed out, as it seemed very abrupt and out of place.  This section works in the original, but not in this adaptation, the way it's being presented.  The snare rolls felt a bit dry and exposed, and the mix could be adjusted slightly so sections like 1:22 don't feel like you have two melodies fighting for attention (bell arp and bassy synth)

NO (resubmit)