Link to track: Trichotomy (Trisection)
ReMixer name: sschafi1
E-mail:

Submission information

Name of game arranged: Final Fantasy Tactics
Name of Arrangement: Trichotomy
Name of Individual Song(s): Trisection

Comments: 

As featured on the album "ZODIAC: Final Fantasy Tactics Remixed" by the Materia Collective!  This is probably my most involved mix to date. I wanted to combine my love for Final Fantasy Tactics with my love for progressive metal. There are many quotes and references to Dream Theater and Opeth in here, as well as a lot of changing time signatures, hemiola, etc.  Let's see how many references you can name!

As always, I have to give a shout out to the players, who performed phenomenally here. This was no easy task, and they came through with flying colors.

Tiago Rodrigues - Lead Guitar
Daniel Woodyer (aka PirateCrab) - Rhythm Guitars
Marc Papeghin - Drums
Jordan Chin - Bass

Please enjoy the track! This was so much fun and I hope that sentiment came through in the end!

Fantastic work!  I have to admit not being a huge fan of the FFT soundtrack myself, but you've succeeded in making this huge and exciting!  The slight sound upgrade to the classic fake FFT strings worked well to support the guitar work.  Playing your own guitar work over the source's melody worked really well, too, to add life to the more ambient sections.  There are some lengthy parts with no source I can hear, but the parts I can hear source are easily over 50%.

It's just a little disjointed because there are so many different approaches here, but the transitions are smooth, everything seems thematically connected, and key elements keep returning to hold it all together.  4:35 is maybe an exception; that transition is pretty abrupt.  The ending is a little abrupt, too.

There are a few other oddities, but they're fairly minor.  2:08-2:32 features some very strange timing on the bass and percussion, so that it all sounds out of sync.  The busiest sections (0:36-0:47, 2:21-2:31 and 4:55-5:08) get pretty crowded, and the synth violin and some of the percussion get lost, but it's all supporting elements that aren't critical to hear at all times.  We do frequently lose some of the sweet harmonics on the bass, but that's definitely "nice-not-required."

Definitely a winner here in my mind.

YES

• 1 month later...

The track was 5:28-long, so I needed to hear the source tune employed during at least 164 seconds of the track for it to dominate the arrangement.

:00-:00.5, :02.5-1:43, 2:16.5-2:30, 3:48-4:09, 4:17.5-4:38, 4:55-5:07, 5:08.5-5:18.75 = 179.25 seconds or 54.64% overt source usage

Just sanity checking the source usage to be sure it was there, and that was no problem; I'm likely shortchanging it on a few connections.

Anyone know the mainstream prog music referenced here? We can't have too much non-VGM source usage in the arrangement, though I'm pretty sure PuD got away with way more due to our ignorance on what he referenced.

Not really feeling the synths here, which sounded low-quality compared to all of the other instrumentation. The sequenced strings also strained credibility some. Otherwise, the prog was strong here, and the track developed nicely throughout. Sean and crew got a lot of mileage out of this theme, for sure.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/01/17 - (2Y) Final Fantasy Tactics 'Trichotomy'

Oooh, this is some nice stuff. I like the blending of those strings and guitar, fakeness of the strings be damned (they sound PURPOSEFULLY fake - no uncanny valley, there). Some pretty bitching performances throughout.

The source is pretty darn clear in this, though the original sections are a little less connected to the material. It seems that it makes it past any objective measure, though, so it passes on those grounds. I'm also not familiar enough with quotes from other external sources, though if they're short snippets I don't think there should be any issue there. Can't encourage it in general since we're about VG music arrangement, but I think it'll be alright as long as it's not whole phrases and sections of Opeth in there.

Pretty bitchin' piece, here; it's great to hear some FFT music on here, as it's woefully under represented on here.

YES