Is sorting of OC ReMixes in iTunes screwed over for anyone else?

Shadow Wolf

MODS: PLEASE leave this in Community. This is more a discussion than a help request, and I personally feel it should be left somewhere where people can hash it out. If it goes to Help and Newbies, it might as well disappear.

Alright, so I've been wondering since iTunes 7.3 came out why in the world my playlists became such an out of order whackjob. Turns out the issue is this: iTunes used to look at the first letter, number, or symbol of an MP3 tag, and sort them in that order. Symbols first, then numbers, then letters.

With the iTunes 7.3 update, MP3's are now sorted 'movie store style', meaning leading characters like a, an, and the are now ignored. So, using "The Calling" from DJ Redlight, what happens is this:

Before iTunes 7.3, "The Calling" was in the T section of my OC Remix playlist. NOW iTunes sees it as "Calling, The" and puts it in the C section.

Not only that, leading numbers and symbols are ignored, so files with those in the name could end up ANYWHERE in your playlist depending on the first LETTER iTunes finds in the name.

Besides the fact that I think that's retarded anyways, here's the biggest issue: I retag all my OC remixes so the name of the song is the only thing in the title field. The game the remix came from is the album, the remixer is the artist, and I GROUP all the songs under OC Remix. Before anybody says anything, I know site rules don't allow me to redistribute them that way, they're only for personal use. At any rate, because of the way I tag, I have 650 OC remixes, from a huge number of albums. It also turns out that even though I've retagged all my MP3's iTunes actually 'remembers' what they used to be called. For instance, 'Visions of Kin' ends up in the W section of my playlist. Why? I changed the Name field to say 'Visions of Kin,' and it does, but iTunes still sees it as 'Wild Arms Visions of Kin OC Remix.' So it goes in the W section.

That's just my remixes. Let alone the other 3400 songs. Has anyone found a better workaround for this than downgrading iTunes to 7.2? All they need to do is give me ONE CHECKBOX to turn that advanced sorting shit OFF, because I have my music pristinely tagged and sorted all by myself and I don't need them screwing it up for me, thank you. Discuss. Has anyone else encountered this?

• 1 year later...

I downloaded the ReMix "Dark World Prelude and March" by Jaroban (LoZ:ALttP) quite a long time ago, but I had completely forgotten about it until today, because I've never been able to play it in iTunes. HOWEVER, it does play in Quicktime player, and did on Windows Media Player back when I had a PC. I've tried it on several computers I've owned, and it has NEVER worked in iTunes, (any version, as far as I can tell). Today, I decided to poke around my computer a bit again, looking for an answer, and when I came here to see if downloading it again (which I've tried before, never has worked). This time, however, I right clicked and hit "open in iTunes" and it finally showed up in the list, but the time column said "continuous", and it didn't play. Does anyone know why this might occur like that? Has anyone else even had that problem?

I downloaded the ReMix "Dark World Prelude and March" by Jaroban (LoZ:ALttP) quite a long time ago, but I had completely forgotten about it until today, because I've never been able to play it in iTunes. HOWEVER, it does play in Quicktime player, and did on Windows Media Player back when I had a PC. I've tried it on several computers I've owned, and it has NEVER worked in iTunes, (any version, as far as I can tell). Today, I decided to poke around my computer a bit again, looking for an answer, and when I came here to see if downloading it again (which I've tried before, never has worked). This time, however, I right clicked and hit "open in iTunes" and it finally showed up in the list, but the time column said "continuous", and it didn't play. Does anyone know why this might occur like that? Has anyone else even had that problem?

We're aware of the issue, which had something to do with the encoding. Down the line we may be able to swap in a fixed version, but that will probably be months down the line.

But if you just want to fix it for yourself, download the Windows version of MP3val and repair the file yourself. It may be able to fix other MP3s in your collection that don't properly play on iTunes, etc.

• 1 year later...

I have been trying to organise my Itunes Library. All thw OCRemix Albums now have artwork and I have been re downloading things that I had lost while changing computers. I have re catalogued all the old Ocremixes from the Main Site under the Album artist "Overclocked Remix" to match the sites more recent filing method, but for some reason the tracks have divided themselves up. There are now two big groups of Remixes that won't mix and several others have established smaller groups of two and threes.

The groups do not distinguish between Date, Remixer or title name. as all are spread between the groups. I have scoured the file information but I am at a loss. It's frustrating my OCD. Please help before I snap and go on a random killing spree!

Thanks

screenshot20101121at011.png

As you can see tracks have been divided and refuse to blend into a single album. As you can see artists do not necessarily fit into one group, so this is not the problem. Nor is it to do with date.

I can't find a logical explanation in the file info. I was wondering if anyone else found the same problem?

Thanks for the thorough explanation & details, J. Hopefully that's what'll help him get his files in order.

That said, our fans seriously do not need to be engaging in this much work to have our files make sense, so I can't WAIT to have these fixed files released. My updated files are 1 album, 1985 tracks in my iTunes. I'll have to host some for people to look over once again so I can make sure all bases are covered, but they're basically as good as they're going to be.

• 6 years later...

Not sure if there are users here who (still) scrobble ... I do since 2008 ... was saddened to find that OCRemix tracks are no longer working (for at least few months!)

Currently, tracks from Latest ReMixes (singles) on the website have album tagged as: "http://ocremix.org" (older ones show www as well), Album Artist tag is "OverClocked ReMix" (fine).

Last.fm - audioscrobbling has blacklisted "http://" from submissions - tracks with that album are not longer scrobbling. Even if the submission is urlencoded.
Last.fm confirmed the http part is blacklisted

Can we change it to something that works by default, without the need of us to edit the tag?
My proposal is to use: "www.ocremix.org" - that is working fine.

• 7 months later...

Hello! .o/"

I have several Ocremix albums on my PC and iOS devices, and for some time now I'm having this weird issue with the majority of them where the tracklist is showing all weird.

I've made a post on apple discussion forums to see if this is known but I was left in the dark.

It seems I can't post images here but the post on apple site shows some screenshots:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/32263779

Tracklist is fine on my PC iTunes, by the way.

Also somebody reported this same problem in this thread:

It was suggested that this have something to do with the "Grouping" Tag used by iTunes, but many albums have this tag blank and the issue happens anyway. Removing the tag from albums that do have or using the same information on the tag for all tracks doesn't resolve the problem. 

Does anybody here had this issue? Is there a fix?

Or is this something else that the Music App from iOS devices is doing wrong? Because I didn't had this problem until a little before iOS 11 update. It did start on iOS 10 though, but not at first.

• 7 months later...

So, I figured this out. Thanks, Google!

iTunes created a new series of tags called work and movement, those tags are created for classical music, mostly. But iTunes tags all songs automatically because why not.

That's what's breaking the album listing on iOS.

Just removing those tags fix the issue.

More instructions in the following link:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31521131