Mega Man X - Central Highway (Metal Arrange)

I've always loved the soundtracks from Mega Man X series and it was also one of my favorite games. Got inspired and decided to try some Metal arranges for the tracks in this game. I know it's been done a lot, but rock/metal just fits soo well with the Megaman series. Hoping to get some feedback/thoughts for this track. Would love to hear what y'all think about the arrangement and instrumentation as this is some areas of improvement for me. The mixing part is not done yet and no eq and effects on the drums. 

Original

I'm also working on more tracks from Mega Man X 1 and hope to compile those to make an album. Hope y'all enjoy it  >:) \m/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, here's an updated version, now fully mixed together with drums and effects. As this is my first post here, would love to get some feedback on this just to know that I'm heading in the right direction with this arrange. Since it's not mastered yet, the levels are a bit low but I would specifically like to hear what y'all think about the instrumentation, arrangement and overall mix in general. Let me know if there's any issues with the link. Thanks and hope y'all enjoy it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Ysis8gRJo-bGx0MTAyb0VyRjA

I dunno if it's just me, but there's a little guitar lick at :44 that seems oddly timed and I just grabbed onto it lol. I'm not someone who can speak for the judges, but to me arrangement sounds alright, except what might set this back is that you don't do too much different at the end, you just go back into the regular theme, though the ending adds some variety. Other than that, I don't really see many problems with this. Might wanna wait for someone with a bit more professional advice, this is about as far as I feel I can go lol. I don't know too much about the style, either.

I'm also probably not the best source of advice, but it sounds pretty good to me. The only things I take issue with are:

-The drums sound fake, partly in terms of sound quality, and partly because they're not quite arranged the way a real drummer would play the part. The first 30 seconds stood out to me the most in this regard.

-I don't really like the part from 1:50-2:10. To me it sounds like filler. I think you could do something to make it more interesting.

Thanks for your feedback guys, really appreciate it. Any kind of feedback is good for me at this point. Plus the track isn't done yet and there's still room for improving it here and there. I do agree, the part from 1:50-2:10 has nothing really interesting there. I'll probably change up the riff and add a few more instruments so that it has a bit more colour. As for the drums, I tried to arrange it in a way a human plays, one of my favorite drummers is Chris Adler from Lamb of God. So I get a lot of ideas from his drumming style. But the Drums do sound dry now that u mentioned it. I'll try fix it and bring up the ambiance so that it has a bit more life.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:01 PM, Ridiculously Garrett said:

but there's a little guitar lick at :44 that seems oddly timed and I just grabbed onto it lol

Hahaha, Is it that obvious?, Actually the lick just before that was just a bit off time and I had to catch the timing back on .44. It didn't sound too bad to me so I kept it for now.

-really like the rhythm guitars, good classic tone and depth overall
-the lead guitar / synth seem slightly off balance (panned left or right), doesn't sit right with my ears, could just be me though. i feel like the leads would benefit being as centered as possible if that's the case
- drums (mainly the cymbals) could benefit from a bit more variation in the velocities. that could just be the samples your using too, so it might be worth it to try some extra limiting/compression on them
-really like the bass tone overall, i think that's spot on
-would definitely like to hear a mastered preview, i think some compression will definitely help pull the track together overall, especially the quieter background synths
-fantastic arrangement in general man, keep it up!

these are just a few first thoughts as i listen here at 1AM, hope any of it is helpful haha

• 2 weeks later...

pseudoeval, as requested:

Starts conservative. Sound is generally fine, if a bit quiet. One of the synths is a little uninspired, which isn't a problem when in the midst of things but stands out when it's more exposed (the 3:02 one; the 2:10 synth is fine). Some sloppy parts on the guitar. Uses the title screen source also, which should probably be listed when submitting. Some really cool creative takes on the sources during the middle of the track. Bookends with more conservative use of source, but with some creative guitar melodies playing along. Ending could be tighter, and signalled more clearly or earlier.

I don't think this will have any trouble passing the panel, but it has a bunch of flaws that will bother you as an artist (if not now, then later) as well as listeners better versed in the genre than I am. Best advice I can offer is to use a good reference track for instrument levels and EQ. Nice work.

Hey Rozovian,

Thanks for taking time to eval this. Yeah I agree, there are some flaws that need to be worked on and also some parts i'm not satisfied with.  I haven't finished mixing it and I like to keep the levels low when mixing, hence why its a bit quiet. But yeah, I'll work on making it sound tighter overall. There also seems to be some clashing between some of the synths and drums sound too dry in this particular mix.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Will update this thread again once I've finished this track.