SFX & MX Project - Dead Space 2

DarkEco

Ooh, I'm a Dead Space fan, let's check this out. 

All in all, not bad! Not an easy task either, I did a couple similar sound-replacement homework assignments when I took classes at Purchase College. It pulled me in, I kept wondering "where are the necromorphs?" The only things I'd nitpick would be that the door opening sounded longer and slower than the corresponding visual of the door opening, and I felt the chainsaw weapon (I'm blanking on the name for that one) could have been a bit louder and sharper. But generally, good work. How'd the University folks like it?

1 hour ago, Mazedude said:

Ooh, I'm a Dead Space fan, let's check this out. 

All in all, not bad! Not an easy task either, I did a couple similar sound-replacement homework assignments when I took classes at Purchase College. It pulled me in, I kept wondering "where are the necromorphs?" The only things I'd nitpick would be that the door opening sounded longer and slower than the corresponding visual of the door opening, and I felt the chainsaw weapon (I'm blanking on the name for that one) could have been a bit louder and sharper. But generally, good work. How'd the University folks like it?

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, i wanted to choose a section of the game that had a lot of quiet time as well as necro encounters so there were more design opportunities. I'm glad to hear it pulled you in. The jumpscare was great fun to make! The Ripper (the chainsaw) was pretty interesting to design. I used an electric shaver layered with a hand blender for the motor sounds. For the much harsher metallic sound when it makes contact with the enemy i ran the sound of a kitchen knife being sharpened through two granular synths. The first had the middle section of the audio recording repeating for a constant scraping sound, then the second one had the tail of the recording which was a high pitched "shiiiing" repeating with a random LFO on the amplitude so it added a much sharper feeling to the overall sound without being constant. I only submitted it today so no official feedback yet but i've had very positive reception from my peers.