OCR03686 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 & 8 "Finding Your Inner Alien"

Gario

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Final Fantasy VII & Final Fantasy VIII
  • Finding Your Inner Alien
  • J.E.N.O.V.A (FF7) Find Your Way (FF8)
  • This started out as a plain jenova deep trance remix, but as i jammed over the track on my keyboard i started playing Find Your Way -ish leads, so I just had to see if I could combine the two and adapt the key/chords for Find Your Way to the chord progression of Jenova, and it almost fit like a glove. I had to change some chord coloring here and there, but the melodies themselves work together thanks to the long note at the end of each Jenova expression. The result is a short and experimental arrangement of two of my favorite Uematsu works. 
    Cheers!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/02/27 - Final Fantasy 7 'Finding Your Inner Alien'

Not sure I'd call this trance, it doesn't have the long grooves I usually associate with that genre, but it is an interesting arrangement, cool mix of chiptune and chiptune-ish synths.  Despite the loud, gritty bass, I didn't have any trouble hearing the individual lines.  The FF8 breakdown in the middle was an elegant touch, I didn't realize what I was listening to at first, with how well it blended in.  Fun stuff all around.

YES

'Alien' is the right term for this - it's such a strange blend of C64 synths and more conventional electronic synths, it sounds rather... er, alien. Some really nice plays with the rhythms in order to blend the sources appropriately, it works so well in its strange way.

If I had to point anything out, the production sounds lacking in the higher EQ balance range, but that's more a nitpick than anything - it doesn't cause too much concern for me. So strange, but really cool - great work on this one!

YES

• 1 month later...

Not at all what I expected here, and I was pleasantly surprised. The Jenova theme is pretty well transformed, and the hints of Find Your Way helped pull things together. My one nitpick here is that the soundscape overall feels a bit empty. I would have liked a little bit more on the backing pads to fill this in just a touch more. That being said, the track does have a lot of fun ideas. Nice work!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely wasn't expecting a chiptune-inspired remix with this one, but it worked very well.  The transitions between sources was handled transparently as well.  I think there was enough variety in the arrangement as well, the triplets-based groove at 1:30 was a nice change of pace, and the ending glitching was a great touch.  The production was lo-fi and gritty without sounding noisy, and I think the elements that aren't quite lo-fi fit very well with the rest.  Overall pretty solid entry, off to the front page with you!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/02/27 - *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 7 & 8 'Finding Your Inner Alien'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic