OCR03612 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "A Link to the Future" *PROJECT*

Gario

Download Link (VBR1 mp3): 
Alternate Mirror: 
FLAC: 

Contact Information
===================
*Your ReMixer name: DDRKirby(ISQ)
*Your real name: Timothy Wong
*Your email address: 
*Your website: http://ddrkirby.com
*Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 8933

Submission Information
======================
*Name of game(s) arranged: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
*Name of arrangement: A Link to the Future
*Name of individual song(s) arranged: Ending (Story)

*Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

I guess I am becoming known as "that guy" who you run to when you are running out of time for your remix album project and need another track done.  I'm starting to lose count of how many times I've stepped in as a pinch hitter in the 11th hour...

Anyways, this remix is part of the "Mirror Image" Link to the Past album project that WillRock and DaMonz put together.  Due to a snafu of sorts they needed someone to fill in and remix the first ending theme real fast.  I wasn't real familiar with the source (just how often do you expect me to have gone through the full ending to LttP??), but fortunately I had about two weeks to work on it, which was more than enough time.

So there I was trying to figure out what the heck I was going to do with the source, when somehow out of nowhere I realized that the main melody was somehow reaaaallly similar to the Cosmo Plant music from the SNES Gradius 3 OST.  I started thinking about that idea more and more, envisioning the beginning fanfare as a sort of alternate "Catapult into space" theme, and I knew I was onto something.  I was super excited to try it out -- Gradius 3 music is just plain awesome!

So, heavily referencing the classic "Departure for Space" track in all its glorious major key synth action, I tried as much as possible to replicate the same style with my remix, as if it came straight out of the Gradius 3 OST.  My initial attempt actually used primarily instruments ripped directly out of the SNES soundtrack itself, though I later ended up swapping them out for a more "hi-bit" / 9-bit feel.  Once I had the first chorus down I was basically 100% sold on the idea and just needed to continue onward to the rest of the track.  There were some challenges involved in trying to translate the triplet-based melodies in the source into something that worked in 4/4 time, but I always believe that that sort of forced problem solving breeds creativity and this case turned out to be no exception.  I also put in a brief callout to the LttP title theme (2:28) and even managed to sneak in a quick callout to Mario at the 1:15 mark as part of the fun solo.

As the song goes on I made some departures from Gradius style so that I'd have a little more variation.  I remember having a pretty hard time deciding what to do at the 2:38 mark but in the end figured out that heading into a triplet feel would both be a good changeup as well as allow me to better cover some of the melodies from the source which were harder to translate into straight meter.  I go into one last triplet rendition of the chorus after that, at which point I felt like I was really channeling my inner WillRock with the synth solo -- I actually briefly referenced his DuckTales remix when trying to decide how to work out ending.  I actually am usually no good with melodically conclusive endings so I'm happy that I was able to pull this one off.

All in all the track actually ended up taking more time than I expected (while still coming in on time -- hooray!), but was a real blast to make!

--DDRKirby(ISQ)

Cue fan art of Link flying the Vic Viper?  That influence definitely shone through, and it's a great interpretation.  I never played Gradius III, but I definitely got the feel of the original Gradius (and not a little bit of Timothy's "There's Nothing Like Flying").  I don't have any real criticism here--this is a fantastic and completely original take on the source that absolutely deserves the front page treatment.

YES

Okay, yeah, I hear the Gradius influence of this one. I love Gradius, and I love Zelda, so why WOULDN'T I love this one? DDRKirby brings some great tunage in this, as usual.

The lead work, while great, does seem to feel a touch stale on the synth used for it after a while, but there is enough done to that rectangle wave with the duty cycle to change it up just enough. Might be just my ears, but it would've been nice to break away at least once or twice to another of your synths that you utilize throughout. So many cool sounds, yet it's rectangle through and through.

That's not really a big issue, though - I'd be lying if I didn't say I was being extremely nitpicky on that opinion. It's a great addition to the album - absolutely no reason to give this anything less than my supporting vote.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/03/11 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'A Link to the Future'
  • 1 month later...