*NO* King of Fighters '96 'Buff Trump with a Grudge'

Gario

Hi there,

Here's the link to the track. You'll find it attached as well.

--------

ReMixer name: Izgert
Email address: 
User ID: 10328

Name of game arranged: The King Of Fighters '96
Name of arrangement: Buff Trump With A Grudge
Name of individual song arranged: Geese Howard's theme

Comments: The inspiration for this came out of nowhere, while I was trying to figure out how to make decent synths with NI Massive. For some reason, one of the sounds reminded me of this old track. Since I was recording metal at the time, it wasn't too much of a stretch to try and recreate this theme myself in an industrial metal style following bands like Rammstein and Static-X, with some extra flourishes.  I wrote and recorded all the parts from 14th-28th February 2017. Drums are EZDrummer, Metal Machine expansion. Bass is a old 70s Hohner B2A. Guitar is an Ibanez Xiphos, recorded through Axe-Fx Ultra -> audio interface -> DAW. Synth is virtually all NI Massive, with some native FL 3xOsc bits.

Someone on YouTube commented that Geese looks (and acts) quite a lot like Donald Trump -- this was long before he was elected President, of course. Seems quite apt to title it after him now. Even though Geese is a muscled up, angry badass and Trump is mostly just angry (apologies if I'm upsetting any fans).

--------

Many thanks!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Starting off, that's a pretty lengthy clip of game audio serving as an intro.

The lead synth that starts at 0:45 is mixed pretty far back--it's quiet and very wet, and those long distorted tails are causing some clashing notes.  The lead guitar starting at 2:01 is pretty quiet, too, very hard to hear under the rhythm guitar and drums.

1:25-2:01 is a verbatim repeat of 0:45-1:21, including an odd volume spike at 1:34.  3:22-3:58 repeats this again, not quite verbatim, but the minor additional elements are little more than mud in most places.

That ending leaves a lot to be desired.  3:59 starts off the repeating chugs with some SFX (tasteful), but that more or less repeats for the last 58 seconds of the track as it fades out very, very slowly.  I think it would have worked better if it had just ended at 3:21 with something simple and quick.

There's a lot here that works--chop out 1:25-2:01 and 3:21+ and tweak the leads a little and I'd not have much to complain about here.  But as it stands, I have to give this a

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Just leaving my fun political note that Trump is garbage.

I didn't mind the intro clip sampling action from the game; it was only 10 seconds and more about the sound & action than taking the original music, so that was all OK.

I'm not sure why your lead and synth accents were quieter than the guitar chugs and drumming, so the mixing/placement doesn't make sense. 1:23 was already repeating the melody essentially verbatim from the first iteration at :43. Melodically, this could also stand to be more interpretive, but you did at least have a spirited rock cover here.

The changeup at 2:29 fell flat to me; didn't quiet flow from what came before, but it was just a momentary bump in the road. Not sure about the notes around 2:55, 3:01, 3:05 & 3:11; didn't quite resolve correctly, IMO.

Wow, back to the same writing at 3:23 with a little more guitar and synth accenting, but basically a copy-pasta of the :43 verse. The final section at 3:59 sounded fine to start, but dragged out without something melodic going on during the fade. A near-minute-long conclusion like that was overwrought; wrap it up sooner if there's essentially nothing more to say.

The arrangement has good energy, and I actually thought the sampling and SFX stuff was tastefully included. You need to vary the melodic verses somehow, either through arranging/interpreting the melody, changing the rhythms or tempo, or presenting some different instrumental combinations/textures. Develop this more. The mixing of the parts needs to make more sense. Good base here though, Fahad; definitely see what more you can do with this one, it has great potential, and your rock arrangement ideas are well in the right direction of what we're looking for.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/03/06 - (2N) King of Fighters '96 'Buff Trump with a Grudge'

Lots of great energy, and a hilarious backstory to boot, I would absolutely love to see this one posted on the site... eventually. Right now, though, the lead work just gets buried behind your rhythm work, and that synth doesn't have the body to push in front of such a dense track. If a synth is going to carry the lead make sure it's a synth that can actually push above the heavy accompaniment, and be sure to mix your wicked lead guitar work in front of the texture more, as well.

Another relatively minor complaint is the excessively dry aspect of those drums. It's not crushingly terrible, as they come through well enough and they are otherwise well done, but they don't sound like they're being played in the same room as the guitars. Give those drums a little more reverb so they sound like they belong together with the rest of the track.

Otherwise, I like it, but the mixing sinks it for me. Fix the mixing and send it back, as the Mr. 45 comparison is pretty funny if I'm going to be honest.

NO