Name- Gabriel McGovern

Email- 

UserID- 34381

Submission Info

Game- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Name of Arrangement- Anthem of Rainswept Souls

Songs Arranged- Windmill Hut, Song of Storms

Comments

I arranged this rendition of Song of Storms some years ago on a little, plastic keyboard. After hearing some of the amazing work done by Remixers such as Theophany and Rozen, I finally decided to try and translate my little remix into a fully orchestrated and produced version. It begins with an audio interpretation of Link entering the Windmill Hut in Kakariko Village, speaking to Guru-Guru, and playing the Song of Storms (which causes a thunderstorm, as in the game). After the Windmill Hut theme drops out, the arrangement moves into the original composition of the Anthem of Rainswept Souls. I did not have access to live instrumentation or vocals; all tools and resources I used were free. I am by no means a professional, but I hope that my first submission will be enjoyed and welcomed by your community of talented musical interpreters.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Just one, I'd like to hear a remix of Song of Storms that doesn't include rain/weather SFX.  That's not a dig against this one specifically, but this does use it throughout nearly the whole track, and it's a little on the loud side.  It interferes with the harp's frequencies in particular, 3:14-4:08, being the most significant because of how busy it is.  The flute at 0:46-1:22 is pretty muddy, too, covered up by the rain and some of the brass; the tuba also gets drowned by the choir at times.  And of course the thunder covers everything, but it's supposed to, although I'd rather hear the music personally.

I don't have anything else against this; it's an impressive job with free samples, and the arrangement in the second half is clever.  But the balance definitely has a lot of room for improvement.  Improve on that and I think this will be good to go.

NO (resubmit)

The brass and flute have way too long of attacks, to the point where the track sounds sidechained and I know it isn't (or, shouldn't be).  The flute especially should have a much shorter attack as it is playing lead.  I agree about the rain fx, they are overused with this source generally, and in this case I agree the thunder claps are too loud when they occur.  The deep drum isn't doing a good job of keeping the beat because it lacks punch, perhaps layering a proper kick in with it would help, but the big drum is also taking a ton of space in the low end and making it muddy overall.  I feel like the soundscape is quite empty though throughout the piece, even with lots of stuff playing the soundscape needs different stuff to fill it out.  The writing is also repetitive.  I like the concept, but the execution isn't there yet.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/03/02 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Anthem for Rainswept Souls'

The humanization (flutes & brass having too much swell in the attack), the oversaturation of the low end, the overuse of the SFX are all points I'll mirror my fellow judges on. I think the arrangement is actually really cool, though - the change from 3/4 to a marching 4/4 was effective (especially using 3+3+2 as a way to bridge the ideas - great technique there!), and really transformed the track in a way that I've never heard before. I think a lot of the impact of this track comes from the imitation of this to a marching band of sorts, so I would disagree on using a kick to tighten up the bass sound. The snare needs some more presence, though, so that it's easier for the listener to make the connection to the beats, since it changes quite often.

I really like this, but the execution does need improvement before we can post this. Hopefully what was said here helps!

NO