*NO* Star Fox 'Stair-Fax'

Gario

Remixer name: Red2d2
Name: David Levey
E-Mail: 
UserID: 34366

Song name: Stair-fax
Original song: Corneria theme - Starfox SNES 1993

This is a rock/metal arrangement of the classic tune from the opening level of Starfox on the SNES. I had done a version of this a few years ago and looking back I wasn't happy with the mix so I revisited the session and rerecorded the guitars. A video will be available on my YouTube page soon.

Thanks 

Red

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

There's some good musicianship here, but I don't think this is interpretive enough for our standards.  There's a little bit of additional instrumentation thrown in, mostly a bit of percussion, but it's not a lot.  The synth orch hits are very similar to the SNES ones, and while the other synths aren't quite as close, they're in the same ballpark and mostly used in the exact same way.  The final reprise, until which the general arrangement is identical to the source, just adds a guitar part mirroring and then replacing the square arp.  No ending to speak of, it just stops.

Production could be cleaned up a little, too.  The lead guitar is layered with a square wave panned hard right, which made it sound unbalanced and unclear.  The rhythm and bass guitars are fighting for space, conflicting with each other nearly the whole time, and I didn't feel like there was enough separation between the lead and rhythm guitar, either.  Some of the cymbals were also panned right without anything to balance them out, although at times there was a separate cymbal panned slightly left, which was an odd effect.

There's also a rendering error, where the last 21 seconds of the track are silent.

Thanks for submitting, but I really don't think this is quite what we're looking for, both in terms of interpretation and production.

NO

Yeah, going to second that notion here - the live musicianship is pretty damn good, but the arrangement leans too much on replicating the source with little interpretive flair. Many of the parts use similar samples that the SNES did (the orchestra hit and square wave being the big offenders there), and while the guitar increases in density per repetition the form is essentially two repetitions of the source.

It's well performed, and the production isn't bad, but I agree with MindWanderer in saying that this isn't interpretive enough for OCR. Thanks for sending it our way, though.

NO

Fun cover, but I agree the arrangement is too conservative.  Performances are indeed good, it just feels much too close to the original in every way.  The track hits it's stride early on and has no change in energy throughout the piece, no breakdown, nothing very original added and no outro either.  Adding a breakdown would go far in setting this remix apart from the source, as would adding a section with unique yet complimentary writing.  The other thing I notice is that the master is set for 3db of headroom which makes this sound like a premaster and not a master.  If you were trying to go conservative on your master, -3db peak is too conservative.  -0.3 is a very good conservative limiter ceiling, that is what I always use anyway.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/02/27 - (3N) Star Fox 'Stair-Fax'
  • Liontamer locked this topic