OCR03535 - *YES* Super Mario RPG "Honky Town"

Gario

• Re mixer Name: Wiesty, XPRTNovice
  • Email Address: 
  • User ID: 11643
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger (cameo)
  • Name of arrangement: Honky Town
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Rose Town, Robo's Theme

I had originally signed on the OC Big Band (now the OCJC) to take on this source way back in the early days of this project. Since that idea fell through and I was wrapped up with Chronology this never came to be. However, in the late days of this project I decided to revisit the source and submit something quick. I was instantly drawn to the source as it had a bit of a jazz influence, and the chord progression it uses is one very commonly found in jazz. I wanted to re imagine this track as to what you might hear if you walked into the Rose Town saloon for a glass of bourbon. Again, the chord progression lends itself so well to jazz and if you listen carefully you'll hear a bit of Gershwin's "I've got Rhythm" and "Robo's Theme" from Chrono Trigger (I was still finishing up Chronology and had some ideas to get out...) Joe Zieja graciously lent his guitar and clarinet chops, as well as his voice acting talents to the cause which really brought the whole thing together.  

I think I gave some thoughts on this for an album eval some time ago, and I believe it remains: the production is pretty slick, and the arrangement is a whole lot of fun. I still believe that the SFX are a bit too loud, and they come as too much a surprise to be pleasant. That could very well be just me, though, so I won't give TOO much grief for it.

Nice cameo of Robo's theme in there, too - givin' us some robo-rolling for kicks.

YES

I thought the volume on the SFX was just fine, although some of them are unclear what they're supposed to be--some sound like cap-guns, not even really like the old-timey fake gun sounds.  Otherwise, I don't have any complaints.  Lots of fun and well-executed.

YES

The clarinet is great and could be louder.  The old-time piano is perfect, love it, it sounds mechanical but in a good way, like a player-piano, and the tone is great.   Omg that faster section, hilarious and I love the transition.  That final chord is excellent.  Well done, guys!  I've got rhythm, indeed.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/01/25 - (3Y) Super Mario RPG 'Honky Town'

Nice clean intro. I feel the piano is a bit too loud across the mix here compared to the other elements, could go down a bit in volume. It also feels quantised and a bit rigid in that regard. Arrangement is mostly solid, the change in tempo near the track conclusion was a nice inclusion, where the theme changes up, and it lent itself well to the change in pace. Nice clean outro as well.

No major complaints here, especially with the other judges feeling this is pretty solid. I would've preferred a bit more looseness in the piano but it doesn't break the mix. Short and sweet.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/01/25) *YES - TAG* Super Mario RPG 'Honky Town'
  • Liontamer locked this topic