NoTuX
Damon Campbell
https://soundcloud.com/notux-1
Your userid:  Not sure
Submission Information

Super Mario 64
Dire Dire Docks, original:  https://youtu.be/uqcPSbkS9TQ
Composer: Koji Kondo

This is an updated version of an old remix I did years ago.  I was planning on submitting it back then, but I kept feeling like I could do better with it, so i held on to it until I learned better mixing and mastering techniques and found nicer samples.

I've never been good at remixing in a defined style or genre, so I couldn't really tell you what this one would fall under.  But, in this short mix, I attempted to replicate that sense of wonder that i felt when I first played Mario 64 twenty years ago.  I used to love exploring the levels and looking for glitches and secrets. Ironically, i never actually got around to beating the game because I spent so much time messing around in it.  Maybe I should do that one day...

For some reason, I'm having a problem rendering WAV files in FL Studio, so I have a mp3 version posted on my SoundCloud page here:  https://soundcloud.com/notux-1

Direct link: 

Thanks!

I like the approach to the theme, here - it doesn't go all in very often, and it doesn't start with the most recognizeable elements of the source, which is a nice change of pace from the usual arrangement of this theme. Great use of subtractive handling of motifs throughout.

The mixing in this doesn't do the arrangement justice, though. The piano is especially problematic, nearly single-handedly causing compression issues throughout the arrangement. It's just mixed way too close to the front of the mix, there. The solo viola/cello sounds a little artificial in its articulations, though there certainly was attention paid to it. Just make the phrased connections more legato and I think that lead will work well enough. Overall the instruments are very dry against your wet pads and ambient sounds, so look into giving the piano and viola some reverb to help match the overall wetness of the other instruments.

There's a whole lot to like in here, but the mixing is absolutely a dealbreaker here. Fix the piano levels, give some reverb to your piano and viola and this'll be a really cool addition to the site.

NO

I really like the variations you've done on the motif.  The concept is dynamite.  I agree with Gario, the piano immediately is a problem, the sample isn't great and without any sort of reverb to put it into a nice space, it just sits there flat.  The sample lacks any kind of expressiveness and sounds really clunky.  The viola isn't much better.  They both sound like they are overpowering the soundscape instead of jiving with it.  I think the viola could be fixed with eq, take some of the low-mids out and it will be less honky sounding.  I'm also not totally sold on the drum groove you've chosen to go with the soundscape.  I like the idea of adding a drum groove but I'm not sure this is the right one.  I'm not sure if it is too fast of a pattern or just one that doesn't compliment the writing, but it feels off to me.  I love the idea, but the execution isn't quite there yet for me.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/09/11 - (2N) Super Mario 64 'Ad Lucem'

I'll agree with Chimp in my turn.  Everything she said about the production, the piano and viola expressiveness, and the strangely off-kilter drums is exactly what I'm hearing.  The backing strings have some strange timing to them, too.  I do like the creative approach to the melody, but the production and the percussion aren't doing it any justice.

NO