Parts in games so difficult they made you stop playing

WillRock

Possibly stupid question- how do you melt ice in Okami?

Current location-Moon Cave, have the Ogre Liver, gave it to the Imp chief guy.

Power slashing seems to work...

As to another part- DKC2.

K.Rool Duel, beat it on the GBA version first, IDK how many deaths, at least OVER 200, I think.

Not even gonna try Krocodile Kore. 

Man, was I happy when I beat him on the SNES version.

Fist pumps were made that day.

DAYYYYM dudes, lots of responses. This is pretty cool, didn't expect it. Ok I got another one of mine. 

This is from Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Ages, and was annoying for a few reasons...

The Level 8 boss

hqdefault.jpg

This guy had multiple forms and each one had very specific ways to beat him that were not obvious. The one you're seeing in the picture is his "shield" form where he blocks all attacks in front of him - you have to use the seed shooter and use the walls to bounce the seed so it hits him in the back. That sort of thing.

However, one of them was a form where he creates these HUGE arms and smashes them together. Now, I'm not completely stupid, I did think "what if you put your bombs between his arms and he smashes it and causes it to explode?" 

So I tried it, and it didn't work. I exhausted every single other option and gave up. Eventually, I ended up looking up a guide - and read that I was right all along, you do use bombs. However, I must have got the timing "slightly" wrong because even tho it did work, the timing has to be perfect. 

That was a particularly annoying for me, since I felt it I'd actually figured it out and the games collision detection fucked me over. Either that or my timing sucked. Either way, annoying. 

11 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

It's not that it was difficult, it was just grindy.  The only way to heal the mechs is to use expendable items, so you have to burn through them even if you want to just go down there for some XP and money.  Or you could grind elsewhere, where there's a shop inside a secret dungeon that sells the best equipment.  And the final dungeon is so long, you end up having to go through a lot of repair items.  Not to mention I wasn't terribly motivated to complete it, since one character is removed from the party until the final boss, so you can't level her up anymore, and I'd spent the last several hours doing scripted quests and losing the open world, so I couldn't go back and pick up the stuff I missed.  It just wasn't fun anymore.

Ah ,yes, the second disc is kind of boring.  Too bad that they rushed it to the finish line and didn't get a chance to really complete the game.  At that point, though, I think Square was trying to hammer out games as quickly as possible because several RPGs of that generation suffered the same fate (SaGa Frontier, for one, was missing quite bit more than was intended).

On 11/04/2017 at 9:25 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Possibly stupid question- how do you melt ice in Okami?

You'll eventually get a fire technique you can melt it with. PM me if you're stuck with anything else. Okami's my favourite game :)

Topic: +1 for the Sonic 3 barrel. I didn't complete that game until I was 23!

Getting all the cages in the original Rayman. You can't finish the game with anything other than 100% completion. I did it for the first time about 3 years ago.

That pink world you unlock at the end of Super Meat Boy. A steaming pile of nope.

Sonic 4 because it was terrible. 

3 minutes ago, DarkEco said:

You'll eventually get a fire technique you can melt it with. PM me if you're stuck with anything else. Okami's my favourite game :)

Topic: +1 for the Sonic 3 barrel. I didn't complete that game until I was 23!

Getting all the cages I'm the original Rayman. You can't finish the game anything other than 100% completion. I did it for the first time about 3 years ago.

That pink world you unlock at the end of Super Meat Boy. A steaming pile of nope.

I'm past that.

Orochi was EASY.

Now on the Sunken Ship.

Now I know why everyone who's played it says "It's the best Zelda I ever played."

It IS the Zelda for Playstation

AVGN has covered this, but it is an example:

tmnt-stupid-jump.jpg

First played this when I was 8. I got really good at the first part of this game, but got so tired of doing this stupid part over and over again trying to time that jump juuuuust right. On those few times I did (somehow) make the jump, I'd usually lost two turtles by then. Before someone showed me you can walk across, I had stopped playing this game for 2 years; picked it up again, got across, did the next part - then got run over by the next roller I see on the 'world map.'

There are some games that just aren't for everyone.

6 hours ago, Chernabogue said:

MGSV:TPP -> the mission where Quiet and Boss must destroy multiple armored vehicles in the ruined palace made me stop playing the game for quite some time before picking it up again and finishing it after a few more hours of suffering.

That was hard as nails. I haven't even attempted an S Rank and probably never will.

1 hour ago, Nostalvania said:

Oh yeah, Battletoads! I actually managed to beat that level back in the day. In my case it was the snake level that made me quit the game.

Snake level!

Yeah, fuck that level. Especially on 2-players. I CAN beat that level on single player, but that's normally where I give up if I'm doing a casual run of that game.

The only reason I didn't list Battletoads is because there's no one near-impossible part.  The hoverbike section was hard but not insanely hard, whether you went for the warp or not.  I did beat the snake level, it was bad but not the worst, you just have to memorize the pattern.  The wall-riding unicycle thing was the part I never did get past, although I also tried using cheat codes to start at the last level and could never beat that either.

1 hour ago, MindWanderer said:

The only reason I didn't list Battletoads is because there's no one near-impossible part.  The hoverbike section was hard but not insanely hard, whether you went for the warp or not.  I did beat the snake level, it was bad but not the worst, you just have to memorize the pattern.  The wall-riding unicycle thing was the part I never did get past, although I also tried using cheat codes to start at the last level and could never beat that either.

I agree, it's very hard but not impossible. I actually did beat the game like about 10+ years later when i bought a snes again. Btw. the last level is like a walk in the park compared to the previous ones.

Something that always bothered me a bit about Battlemaniacs (never played the one on NES but i think it's about the same there) is that after the second level it becomes some sort of obstacle race. The first levels were so cool, you could actually *fight*, i mean they're called Battletoads for a reason! :D

I digress...

Xenosaga II: The Orgulla boss battle.

I tried for MONTHS to beat her. I employed every strategy I possibly could find on the internet or think of and I could never beat her. I eventually came to the realization that my crew was simply not strong enough and I didn't have enough items, but they didn't have shops (wtf?) in the 2nd one and at that point in the game, there aren't many enemies you can backtrack to fight and grind.

This is something that has ended me playing literally every JRPG (really have grown to hate those games) ever. From FFX to Star Ocean: TLH. At SOME point, the game becomes a numbers battle and you'll have to grind for god knows how long if you want to beat the next boss.

1 hour ago, Nostalvania said:

Something that always bothered me a bit about Battlemaniacs (never played the one on NES but i think it's about the same there) is that after the second level it becomes some sort of obstacle race. The first levels were so cool, you could actually *fight*, i mean they're called Battletoads for a reason! :D

I digress...

Slightly off topic, but the Battletoads arcade game would absolutely satisfy any 'Toads fighting craving you could have. That and Battletoads + Double Dragon are the only games that really don't focus on variety puzzles and instead focus on the fighting. To be fair to the NES, though, there are plenty of sections in each stage that involves beating up baddies, as well - only a few stages are really puzzle/racing/obstacle course only.

I personally like the variety aspect of Battlemaniacs, personally, but I totally understand where you're coming from.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, The Damned said:

I recall a part of Golden Sun 2 that, at the time, I could not get past. It was one of those puzzles where you have to use your various powers in a certain way to proceed, but I either didn't have all the required ones yet, or did, but couldn't wrap my head around how to do it properly.

More than a decade later, and I still haven't bothered with it since.

That's the one bad thing about GS2 being more open than GS1 unfortunately. They could've made it just a little more linear to keep people on the right track.

Recently there's Axiom Verge. There is an area near the end where you have to go up and up and up constantly, and the enemies are such a pain and the traversal just wasn't fun. I usually can finish a Metroidvania even if it's not outstanding, but I rage quit pretty hard there

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped for weeks after trying to beat the boost guardian in Metroid Prime 2. I must've tried for a few days straight. When I finally returned and beat it (after several more times), I stopped playing the game soon after. Damn purple world. ><

I've almost beat the first Battletoads for Gameboy, which is probably the easiest Battletoads game. Its speed barrier stage (rat rocket) is much easier than the NES hoverbike stage. I just can't pass the last level before the time limit runs out.

Ridge Racer: Unbounded. I was going along just fine, beating races with three stars most of the time, until I got close to the end of the game on what I think was the second to last group of races. There was a drifting race near the end of that group that I just couldn't do well on. I got a decent score with two stars, but I was 400 points shy of unlocking the next event. I couldn't get better scores on the previous races (all with three stars already) in that group and couldn't get a better score on the damn drifting race that was keeping me from getting to the last two races in that group. I tried over and over, literally dozens upon dozens of times before I just stopped out of frustration. Months later, I tried it again and just couldn't come to grips with relearning the odd way the game does the drifting mechanics.

The end result? I quit the game, uninstalled it and I have no plans of ever going back. I got my $5 worth from it and don't feel like wasting anymore time on that damn track.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Xenosaga II: The Orgulla boss battle.

I tried for MONTHS to beat her. I employed every strategy I possibly could find on the internet or think of and I could never beat her. I eventually came to the realization that my crew was simply not strong enough and I didn't have enough items, but they didn't have shops (wtf?) in the 2nd one and at that point in the game, there aren't many enemies you can backtrack to fight and grind.

Totally seconded. Your experience in this mirrors mine. Ended up spending a ridiculous amount of time backtracking all the way to the Encephalon, then fighting low-end Gnosis to get myself to a level where I could compete with her.

Xenosaga II is one of those games I will probably never play again, unless I either get a hankering to play through the entire series again or wake up one day feeling particularly like torturing myself.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:56 PM, TillyFun said:

I stopped for weeks after trying to beat the boost guardian in Metroid Prime 2. I must've tried for a few days straight. When I finally returned and beat it (after several more times), I stopped playing the game soon after. Damn purple world. ><

Apparently the Boost Guardian was so difficult that one of the QA testers had to turn on debug to beat it! 8O 

I think maybe the biggest problem is miscommunication? A lot of people I've mentioned the boss to were shocked that you can bomb it while it's in puddle mode to force it back to solid mode. I've actually beaten the entirety of Prime 2 on Hard...