Ezio's Family - Assassin's Creed 2

Peíorele

Hi everyone! First time posting in this section of the forums... Kinda nervous! I wanted to share my cover of Jesper Kyd's song 'Ezio's Family' from Assassin's Creed 2. I'm not intending on submitting this to OCR, because I know the arrangement is far too conservative to warrant submitting, but I would like some feedback on my production quality, mixing/mastering, performance etc. so I can improve when I do decide to submit something to OCR.

All the voices and instruments (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, celtic harp, piano, celeste sample) are performed by me (except the violins), and I also did all the mixing/mastering. This was a collaboration with ViolinGamer who performs all the violin parts you hear in the piece, therefore all critique regarding his performance would go amiss on me! Though, tips on mixing violins would be appreciated.

A few things I know I could work on straight off the bat:

• the recording was mixed too quiet by normal standards (probably due to the solo vocal's dynamic range throughout)
  • the mix is possibly too wet for most people, but I personally enjoy it as it sounds similar to the original song
  • the outro between the guitar, harp and celeste could've been more in time with each other

Here's the links to download/listen to the cover: YouTube video | FLAC download | Apple Lossless download

I really enjoy the instrumentation and quality of the performances here. Like you said, it's a very conservative arrangement, but some changes you added here and there are very welcome. Perhaps the volume of the lead vocalist track starting at 1:11 goes a bit to loud -- especially at the end of each "sentence" -- but that might just be because I listened to it using crappy headphones ^^ I also feel like the choruses get a bit repetitive despite the effort of frequently bringing something new, though this effort helps not making the repetitiveness boring.

However, in this end, it's a good cover that is very pleasant and relaxing to listen to -- like most of you mixes tend to be. Great job!

15 hours ago, classic_gamer_76 said:

Perhaps the volume of the lead vocalist track starting at 1:11 goes a bit to loud -- especially at the end of each "sentence"

I agree with this, perhaps I got too carried away trying to make it sound like the original, lol ^^; 

15 hours ago, classic_gamer_76 said:

I also feel like the choruses get a bit repetitive despite the effort of frequently bringing something new

Ahhh, I do struggle with this in a lot of my work... I'll be sure to try and change things up a lot more in the future!

Thank you for taking the time to listen and critique my work, @classic_gamer_76, I sincerely appreciate it!