brynolf11

2. ready for review Shadow of the beast (Synth funk)

5 posts in this topic

Hi! My first post in the workshop. I just finished (I think) some kind of electro-horror-funk-ish remix of the Eerie forests song from the old Amiga game Shadow of the beast. How does it sound to you?

Youtube:

Here is the original: 

Specifically, I'm wondering how the flutes sound to you?  Those are the only parts of the track with actual recorded instruments. 

MOD REVIEW:

Loving that source, there. I've never heard any of the music from that game, but it's catchy as all hell. It seems that your arrangement really catches the spirit of that source and takes it to new places with those synths and jazz flute. I'm liking what I hear a lot. It really sounds like one of those old school PS1 game soundtracks, and I'm digging every second of it.

Since you asked about the flute specifically, I'll reassure you and say it's pretty well done. At worst, I'd say it's just a little too heavy on the decorative trills, but that's more a personal gripe than something that's legitimately wrong with it. It's mixed well, the performance is solid and it gives the arrangement as a whole a completely different (but still welcome) feel to it.

The biggest issue that I can recognize is the crowding that happens at 1:32 and 2:49 due to the stacking of reverb-heavy instruments. It would probably sound better with one less line playing in there, or if the reverb were decreased a bit at those points, but overall it not a crushing issue. If you could clean that up prior to submission that would certainly be ideal, though.

Yeah, if you submit this you'd probably get a little flak on the two messy sections I mentioned, but it'd probably still pass just fine. It's pretty darn good, overall, so I hope to see it in the inbox soon!

19 hours ago, Gario said:

MOD REVIEW:

Loving that source, there. I've never heard any of the music from that game, but it's catchy as all hell. It seems that your arrangement really catches the spirit of that source and takes it to new places with those synths and jazz flute. I'm liking what I hear a lot. It really sounds like one of those old school PS1 game soundtracks, and I'm digging every second of it.

Since you asked about the flute specifically, I'll reassure you and say it's pretty well done. At worst, I'd say it's just a little too heavy on the decorative trills, but that's more a personal gripe than something that's legitimately wrong with it. It's mixed well, the performance is solid and it gives the arrangement as a whole a completely different (but still welcome) feel to it.

The biggest issue that I can recognize is the crowding that happens at 1:32 and 2:49 due to the stacking of reverb-heavy instruments. It would probably sound better with one less line playing in there, or if the reverb were decreased a bit at those points, but overall it not a crushing issue. If you could clean that up prior to submission that would certainly be ideal, though.

Yeah, if you submit this you'd probably get a little flak on the two messy sections I mentioned, but it'd probably still pass just fine. It's pretty darn good, overall, so I hope to see it in the inbox soon!

Thanks, glad to hear it! Yeah, those two parts were even messier a couple of drafts ago so maybe I can blame mix fatigue. Trimming it down further would require killing off another couple of darlings. I'll see if I can bring myself to do it :)

Not only you picked a legendary game/soundtrack, but also hey, this mix is pretty neat.  The synth funk tag caught my attention, and I think the mix delivers on the tag.  Gario gave pretty good feedback, but I'll also add to watch your lows and crowding on the bottom end.  I think the mix could be cleaner than it is, so mix clarity is an aspect that could benefit from work, specially around 2:50.  The eq in general could perhaps be slightly brighter, but that could be subjective.  The ending could've been a bit more memorable as well, another area to look into.  Overall this is pretty solid and you could do a few more passes to it, but I definitely suggest subbing it.

Good luck.