OCR03681 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds "Arrghus's Lair"

Gario

Ah, I'm glad to see A Link Between Worlds getting more OCR love lately - it really does have a great standalone soundtrack. This arrangement takes a rather creepy, ambient source and arranges it in a more playful manner - it almost sounds like something Danny Elfman would write for the game with the gentle choir and glockenspiel sprinkled in there.

The orchestration is great, as usual, and for the most part the instruments are humanized well. The oboe has a swelling attack on every note, which is a little distracting, but otherwise the instruments are well handled. The balance of the arrangement is just a hair messy when all the instruments are playing together, and the choir suddenly jumps out at 2:22, but otherwise the production is well done.

What can I say, this is a solid arrangement otherwise. Rebecca's giving us some fantastic orchestral love on here, and I hope she keeps it up. :)

YES

The levels were low, IMO, but it's nothing impacting the vote. Nice job creating a version of the theme with a much more pensive and cinematic soundscape. I thought the mechanical-sounding woodwinds were the weak point here (e.g. 1:19, 1:48-2:03), and the vox occasionally sounded too bare (e.g. 1:37-1:40), but the overall soundscape was solid overall. The chromatic percussion accents throughout were a very nice touch and added a lot of personality to the piece. Cool!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/04/23 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 'Arrghus's Lair'

Yep, pretty much standard Tripp fare, which is nothing to scoff at.  Overall arrangement is pretty conservative, which stands out with such a short source, but the thorough instrumentation more than makes up for it.  I don't have anything else to add that Gario and LT didn't.  A solid addition to Rebecca's portfolio.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2017/04/23) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 'Arrghus's Lair'
  • Liontamer locked this topic