OzGuy

What genre of music fits each style of Sonic best?

14 posts in this topic

So, Sonic has a pretty good track record with music. *accepts Understatement Of The Millenium award*

But what type of music fits each style of Sonic?

Classic Sonic seems to be 90's dance music and EDM, whereas Adventure is more delving into punk rock and ska-punk, like Goldfinger. Then Modern Sonic gives off more of a Green Day/blink-182 vibe.

Penny for your thoughts!

Well, I think most people would just say the styles that were chosen for each era suit them best. Are you asking what alternative styles could have been used instead of the ones they went with?

To me the Megadrive era of of Sonic thrived musically with Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic 3 was very funk based whereas S&K had a more in your face electronic vibe in some cases like Flying Battery and Death Egg, along with more generic thematically appropriate tracks like Sandopolis and Sky Sanctuary. I don't know what I would class Lava Reef as but it's dope either way. So for me Megadrive Sonic would ideally consist of that era mainly. I prefer Sonic 3D Blast's music overall (not the Saturn version). It just has a "moodiness" that I find very absorbing, like a dark analogue sound. 

In the GC era, while I liked the punk rock styles of Sonic Adventure I think the more heavy electronic/rock style in the Shadow the Hedgehog soundtrack really shone through to me. I found myself listening to it far more than anything else in that era. Shame about the game itself though. It definitely wouldn't work for SA unless it was brightened up a bit though. 

After that I pretty much lost interest in any Sonic game apart from Generations...

SONIC MANIA THO.

I'll admit it took me awhile to accept Senoue's punk esque work for the Adventure games but I honestly don't know how EDM became THE sound for "classic" sonic.  I know Generations had everything to do with that but honestly the classic rearrangements of those tracks didn't do a whole lot for me.  

I would have to say Power Metal would work the best with Sonic games and I base that on absolutely nothing but my own personal bias. Kind of like how this guy did.   

I'm digging the hell out of what they released so far for Mania tho.

For me, Sonic music should have some serious tracks, but also have optimism in a badass sense.

Ah, Sonic Adventure. Giving washed-up 80s, B-grade rockstars work since 1998.

In all honesty, I think each style of Sonic (that I've played) has had an appropriate soundtrack.

As long as the music is upbeat (Major key or Dorian mode) and fast paced, you can't really go wrong. That's probably why EDM, Funk and Pop-Punk are the mainstays of the series.

5 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

In all honesty, I think each style of Sonic (that I've played) has had an appropriate soundtrack.

As long as the music is upbeat (Major key or Dorian mode) and fast paced, you can't really go wrong. That's probably why EDM, Funk and Pop-Punk are the mainstays of the series.

Well, not all tracks in Sonic games are upbeat. 

There are some great moody or melancholy tracks in there as well. And not just in Shadow the Hedgehog, but in games like '06, Unleashed and Heroes.

I'd say being fast paced is a definitive trait of Sonic music regardless of era (it fits because Sonic himself is super-fast). The different eras each have different styles and most the soundtracks are great (to say the least). My personal favorite Sonic song is "With Me" but that's another can of worms (best Sonic song is a long and heated debate that I don't want to start).

Honestly, Sonic 06 has one of the best video game soundtracks and styles out there, just listen to this: 

Otherwise, Sonic Heroes has this one song that is great (), and then a bunch of songs in the same style that really miss the mark: