Mega Man 3 - Boss Battle - "Gamma Buster"

Hey, this is the first time I've posted anything here! I'm a big fan of what goes on here, so now I'm trying to get involved.

I'm a big fan of the NES Mega Man soundtracks, and battle music in general really. This track here is my favorite boss battle theme from the Mega Man series.

Arrangement-wise I'm mostly happy with things. Though I've played music for a long time, there's still a ton I don't know about audio production, but I think this one is sounding pretty good so far.

Original:

Mine:

Cool! Nice arrangement. Not a huge fan of the drums though,  the samples sound good in themselves but the way they play is too synthetic. I would probably have gone in a more drum&bass:y direction. But just replacing the samples with more synthy ones would work nicely. 

13 hours ago, brynolf11 said:

Cool! Nice arrangement. Not a huge fan of the drums though,  the samples sound good in themselves but the way they play is too synthetic. I would probably have gone in a more drum&bass:y direction. But just replacing the samples with more synthy ones would work nicely. 

Thanks man, thanks for checking it out. The drums definitely could be a problem; there's something not quite right about this track, and maybe its the drums crowding the mix too much. 

Could you elaborate on what you mean with the drum samples? Are you saying the velocity/etc is too programmatic/unnatural? I'm just confused when you say they play too synthetic, but then you suggest replacing them with more synthy ones. Cheers!

Mod Review

Nice work for your first remix on this site! There are some really cool things going on here both arrangement wise and sonically....

Arrangement: I like how this piece sneaks in and slow builds intensity until 0:34, great intro on this one! I'm not a huge fan of the organ that  comes in right at 0:35 however...We get this awesome and energetic intro with a very hi-fi sort of a sound and then get pelted with a sub-par organ sample....maybe swap that out with something? It doesn't sound bad in the background but when it's by itself it is pretty weak. I like the breakdown section that comes in at 1:54...nice break from the intensity of the first half. I would maybe milk the first part of the breakdown and hash out some ideas to give the song some more variation before the crazy build up (which is great by the way). After the break down section you need to throw in some more variation 2:29-3:15 is too simlar to 0:40-1:53. There is variation in the melody (we get some of the upper harmonic lines), but the backgrounds are still the same, the drum beat/bass is still the same, so it begins to sound very meandering. See if you can add some different instruments/rhythmic ideas here to make this section stand out from the beginning. I think the ending is the strongest part of the arrangement...love the descending chords at 3:15 and how the ending keep this kind of subtle yet growing intensity....great ending! 

Production: Overall not bad, but it does seem a bit squished for my ears....the synth and filter sweep at around 0:14 already starts pumping the mids too loud. I think the bass could definitely use some EQ here to give it more of its own space. The patch seems to encroach into the mids so we get lots of mids here but the low end is a bit lacking for my taste. Careful with the loud sections like 0:29 and 2:05. These start to sound very compressed for my ears and you can hear the volume pumping. EQing your instruments to give them their own space will free up some energy and volume but just be careful that your compressor isnt pumping too hard. Other than that it could definitely use a proper master and a boost in the high ends to give it some clarity/frontal sound. 

I think this falls a bit short of OC standards but with some arrangement work and a bit of tidy up in the production it will be ready....Some very solid ideas here!