OCR03555 - *YES* Mario Kart: Double Dash!! "Shredding the Rainbow"

Gario

Note: If this passes it will need an appropriate title.

- Gario

ReMixer name/ Real name: Andy Gillion
Email: 
User ID: 27283

Game: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Arrangement: Rainbow Road Metal Remix
Individual song arranged: Rainbow Road
Additional info: Original composers: ‎Shinobu Tanaka; Kenta Nagata. System: Nintendo GameCube
Link to original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z2AK-X7emE

Comments: I've loved this song for years and can't believe I'd not remixed it before. I couldn't get it out of my head one day and decided it was time to try and do it justice in a metal guitar orchestrated remix. I recorded all the guitars with my Axe-FX II preamp and programmed the drums with Steven Slate samples. It was mixed and mastered in Cubase 7.5. 

Thanks!

I like it. Solid production, great mixing, nice changes to the textures to differentiate the first half from the second, and while it's clear what sources are used where it nonetheless applies it to the metal style perfectly.

Track name and song length aside, it's pretty much a grade A quality remix, here. Great stuff!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/05/13 - (1Y) Mario Kart Double Dash 'Rainbow Road Metal Mix'

Straightforward stuff here, but it works.  I'm more than a little tired of the Invincibility theme being tossed into the middle of Mario Kart arrangements, but other than that, the arrangement is conservative but effective.  The differences in performance and timbre between the first and second half made up for the repetition that was there, and the ending was clever.  Great stuff!

YES

Super minor, but the drums at the very end were exposed as not a real kit; no big deal, but a little mixing/production touch up could have made that sound more natural.

Strong, personalized metal cover with machine gun drums aplenty. It never lets up, but there's textural variety throughout, so it never sounded repetitive or stale. Good work, Andy! \m/

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/05/13 - (3Y) Mario Kart Double Dash 'Rainbow Road Metal Mix'
  • 3 weeks later...

An impressive (if somewhat predictable) rock take of the original. Your guitar tone has a good level of brightness to it, the distortion levels have a nice level of bite while keeping things clear and audible. Performance is solid. As the arrangement plays out things start off fairly conservatively, although we do see a number of licks presenting themselves over time to maintain freshness. Parts transition mostly well, although some feel too sudden (such as the break at 1:17). The panning used on the lead to alternate parts added a nice feeling of movement.

Pace maintains fairly similar throughout most of the song, which for a duration of almost 3 minutes is a long time, especially at this tempo. One noticeable nitpick is the drums play the same pattern through almost the entire song - even the main fill that plays before transitions is very close, if not the same each time. In contrast to the real guitars they also felt somewhat robotic in their performance. This I felt detracted from the otherwise solid presentation here. Not enough in my opinion to hold this back, but more variation here really would've been nice. I also feel with the level of skill you display here, more risks could've been taken to depart from the source providing opportunity for more original material. Maybe next time.

YES

• Gario changed the title to (2017/05/13) *YES - Mario Kart Double Dash 'Shredding the Rainbow'
  • Gario pinned and locked this topic
  • Gario unpinned this topic