Magus Confronted (Chrono Trigger) - Stoner/Doom Metal

1. None that bother me personally.

2. This is just personal preference, but made me leave the vocal out of the intro part to a make it seem more like an intro that's building to something. Would make the vocals that come later be more impactful maybe.

3. You could experiment with a more "epic" sounding organ that matches more with the tone of the song. A  big, sinister cathedral organ type. Not on expert on organs so can't be more specific.

4/5. For this I'll just refer to the mix as a whole. You need to EQ the backing instruments so they interfere less with the lead guitar and vocals. Just cut a bit at the frequencies where the lead and vocals sit.  During times when both the vocals and lead play at the same time (2:36), you probably need to use to to automated EQ to temporarily have the lead guitar duck out of the way of the vocals. That way the vocals can still be clear with out having them stick out.

Thanks Vidilian.

I've worked on this some more and am actually pretty happy with how it's coming along. I'm still not 100% on the introduction of the vocals at 2:36 -- after I first recorded them they struck me as sort of jarring and unexpected -- but I've become so accustomed to them that I can't really accurately judge anymore.

I'm pretty happy with the rest of it though. I think I'll give it one or two more passes before calling it finished but I'd love to hear some more opinions on what might be improved before I do.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely giving me some Marilyn Manson vibes with the vocals here! Interesting take on already dark sounding source!

Eval:

Nice work exploring the material and keeping the original mood! I like the guitar loop. It gives everything a heavy feel, and is an interesting take on the original bass line. The breakdown sections are nice and provide a bit of a relief from the onslaught of heavy distortion and drums, A few sections feel a little long to me. For example at 3:47-4:28 we get that one phrase repeated many, many times without much variation. This can really start to cause listener fatigue. I would recommend shortening sections like these, or adding in new colours or variations sooner to keep momentum moving forward. After a few listens I still couldn't hear variations on the final section of the source (the part that goes into the weird time signature, 7/8 maybe?). You don't have to include ALL of the source material, but it would definitely help from keeping things from going stale. 

Production wise it mostly sits well with me. I think the stereo spread could use some work. It sounded like there was a huge build up of instruments in the center with the sides being mostly drums. This can make for a weird mix. I noticed it less as I listened, so either my ears are getting fatigued or its not a big deal. I'd take a look at it for sure though. 

This is damn close and I think it would stand a pretty good chance on the panel, but those are some things I think they might take issue with so I'd have a look at them before you submit!  

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I played around with some different options for the 3:47 section that Wiesty mentioned because I completely agreed that the song was losing momentum there.

I ended up recording a bit of a guitar solo for it but honestly I'm having trouble determining whether it fits the track well or not. I'm not exactly a great guitarist or soloist. Any feedback on this would be very helpful.

Solo starts at around 4:04.

Thanks!