Castlevania anime on Netflix

orlouge82

On 7/7/2017 at 6:06 PM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

It's just that currently, there is almost no development of the relationship between Lisa and Dracula and as such, it's hard to give a shit when she dies. It's literally just "hot blonde is willing to forgive all of the impaled corpses on your lawn, move in with you, collab in your studio and start a family in two minutes" — still waiting on that one, myself. 

It would be great to see this story unfold through more flashbacks. Considering they only had 4 episodes in the first season they probably felt developing the other characters and world were more important.

• DarkeSword changed the title to Castlevania anime on Netflix

Oh, also, something that gave me a hardcore nerdgasm is the that the intro's style and colour choices are directly lifted from the art of Edward Gorey and Aubrey Beardsley. The former who made one of the earliest illustrated adaptations and plays of, and the latter's whose art influenced and was featured in, editions of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Gorey-Books-Toy-Theatre.png

I'm starting to feel in the minority here. I was completely letdown by what I watched. 

Remember when you first played Castlevania and you had to deal with the Catholic church persecuting you and then, after completing that two hour introduction, the game finally gave you your first and final boss fight for about ten minutes? 

Gotta admit, I was fucking excited for this. 

So episodes.... 4 episodes is a smart move imo, but I mean... was this ever going to flop? Castlevania has a good fanbase, do it justice and people would watch it. 4 Episodes wasn't enough for me to get completely invested. 

Story wise, it felt disjointed, what with Draculas backstory being the entire first episode. Seemed weird. The Church thing, honestly, I found it a bit boring, however, by the time the 4th episode hit, I felt things picked up, I liked how it managed to work in the introduction of alucard but it made me kinda sad that it ended just as it was getting interesting.

Artwork was cool, i've heard about issues with animation being static at points but I didn't notice anything offputting personally. I loved the fire stuff in the first episode, looked really cool, and the fight scenes were really well done imo. The Gore was cool, but might have been slightly overdone for my tastes. Blood and guts galore, but it is based on fucking Castlevania so blood and guts is ok I guess.

Voice acting was hit and miss. I could tell who the side characters were as soon as they opened their mouths because of the quality of their voice acting. The main cast was great tho, Richard Armitage as Trevor was awesome. Also, might seem a bit weird but I took minor issue with the swearing. I'm all for swearing, I'm a fucking swear machine myself, but here's the thing - Episode 1 seemed to have no swearing I noticed (probably had a bit but a healthy amount) - followed by 1 character at the end who was swearing so much it was like he had a goal to see how many times he could use the word "fuck" in a single sentence. Honestly, it was a tad off-putting. 

Lastly, the music. This for me, was the missing ingredient. Couldn't they have licensed music from the games? Ok, lets give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they can't. They didn't even try to keep to the feel or style of the games music. Instead of some almost neo-classical music we're treated to boring mood music with very little melodic content. Heck, the main theme was that typical "duh-duh-duh-duh" stuff popularised by Hans Zimmers work on The Dark Knight Trilogy. Highly disappointing there.

Overall, it might seem i'm being very nitpicky and hyper critical but yeah, this did feel a bit... weak. It was ok, but it could have been better. Heck, for a video game adaption, we should probably just be happy with what we get at this point hahahaha. In any case, I'm hoping Season 2 will be better.

2 hours ago, duskvstweak said:

I'm starting to feel in the minority here. I was completely letdown by what I watched. 

Remember when you first played Castlevania and you had to deal with the Catholic church persecuting you and then, after completing that two hour introduction, the game finally gave you your first and final boss fight for about ten minutes? 

I'm sorry, but these complaints are absurd.

• There has to be a fleshing out of the story before he went to Dracula's Castle and the Church behaving like a gang and preventing the advancement of medicine and science by deeming it "witchcraft" is perfectly reasonable in 15th Century Europe — I mean it's not the like church ever did that back then, right? :roll:

• The series doesn't end at episode 4. There is more to come.

Lastly, I find the music perfectly fitting to the series when you actually watch it. The ambient, moody and pulsing soundtrack is a perfect fit.

I've not seen anywhere in the series thus far and I've watched it twice through where nearly any of the music from the games would fit without making the scene terribly cheesy.

Yeah I think that explaining WHY Drac is attacking Wallachia was quite important. The love of his life, likely the first woman in centuries who wasn't repulsed by him, was killed by an idiot who thought her to be a witch simply because she practiced science. This also explains Alucard's presence, and why he'd want to stop his father (I mean we already knew that basically but it's nice to include that in it). This season was more of a fleshing out of the backstory and, if game progression were to be applied here, following the first few blocks (even though Sypha and Alucard are on different blocks in CV3 but whatev). We still haven't seen Grant, after all.