*NO* Sonic Adventure "Big Fish"

Gario

Hello dear Judges, hope you're all doing well. :)

Remixers: Chernabogue (arrangement and production), Furilas (bass), Furorezu (guitars)

This track was originally made for Tuberz's Sonic Adventure project but the project itself seems to be in limbo mode for now. I still decided to finish that remix, inspired by surf rock and rock ballads, making the original way calmer than it is. Big thanks to my two collaborators for recording this one!

Remix name: "Big Fish"
Link to remix: 

Thanks and cheers! Let me know if you need anything else. :)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Loving the surfer vibe that this exudes, with more of a Hawaii 'Hang loose' sort of flavor rather than the more intense 'Pipeline' flavor. There's a bit of classic rock thrown in with the organ carrying the chords, which is a neat little twist.

Honestly, there's only one real issue that affects this track, but it's such a big issue that it bars me from passing it - that lead guitar is mixed so loud in comparison to the rest of the track, and the EQ is painfully piercing. It's an extreme issue that affects the entire track, making an otherwise excellent track into a painful experience (literally - I can't listen to this without pausing to give my ears a break every so often).

I really enjoyed this simple yet effective approach, but that one issue is a problem. Please fix it up and resubmit this, since I think it's a solid approach that is otherwise well crafted.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I agree mostly with what the others have said here. I enjoyed the opening sequence and atmosphere, the organ like synth, bass and drums set things up nicely. When the lead guitar comes in I feel there's a few issues. Firstly, I'm with the others that it's too loud compared to the other parts. It already sticks out frequency wise, you should really consider dialling the volume on this back. Speaking of frequency, you do have some piercing frequencies here on the lead that should be tamed, I'm sure an LPF or surgical notch EQ would be enough to ensure this remains relaxing on the ears.

Breaking away a bit from the others, I also feel the lead guitar is a bit too clashy note wise here when paired with the other parts, to the point where it felt out of tune at times. I understand what you're going for here - the lazy surfer vibe, and I also know the original has a lot of slide notes which you're trying to represent here. But there was quite a lot of clashing here with the backing elements. I'm not skilled enough to understand exactly what's at fault, but things feel off. Arrangement progression is certainly interesting, and you've got a good level of original elements here accompanying the source.

I know my vote is more critical of what you've done than the others, but I did feel strongly about these issues. First and foremost focus on the lead volume/EQ above all else, perhaps this may make it fit in the mix better and overall make things more cohesive.

NO 

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Sonic Adventure "Big Fish"
  • Liontamer locked this topic