OCR03659 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Lullaby of the Desert" *RESUB*

Gario

Old Decision

Hello OCR judges,

Below is my information. This is a re-submission of a track I submitted back in Feb and was evaluated in May. I increased the volume, rerecorded a section of the violin, fixed the panning issue, added reverb, and varied the accompaniment a bit. The information has not changed except the last sentence of the inspiration. 

Rodok.
William Rhoden

userid = 32400

Submission information.

Game arranged = Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Name = Lullaby of the Desert
Song arranged = Gerudo Valley

Inspiration: I got into Gerudo Valley not by playing the game, but by hearing djpretzel arrange the track (OCR #368). It was one of the first OCRs I heard over ten years ago, and I was hooked. This is my third attempt arranging it for OCR, and I wanted to go a different direction than most. It is a simple track with live guitar and violin (both played by me), NI's Giant piano, and a simple Sytrus synth. I tried to think of what Ganon's mother might have sung him, if he had one. The additional LoZ themes are essentially Ganon's unfortunate dreams. 

As always, thank you for your continued support of video game music.

Will

Ah, I do like quick resubmissions for good arrangements. My biggest gripes that were quick fixes were addressed in this resubmission, and the additions and variations sound like a great way to address the other concerns of this track getting stale over it's run. The piano backing was clever, and adds a great new dimension to the track. I was close to passing last time, and this easily addresses the issues I held against it. Well, except for the missed bowing at 1:15, but that's not a big deal - I understand not wanting to re-record sections for such a small error.

Great work, and thanks for sending it back to us!

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah I remember this one.  In this version it feels like the violin is carrying the song in a big way, due to being center stage. Like the previous version this packs a very emotive performance, and the variations on the original are a very welcomed addition.  The piano adds some welcomed variation to the backings without completely ditching the original minimalist approach.  I still feel it threads over the same melody maybe one time too many, but I can't deny that it's never performed in quite the same way each time.

YES

Not feeling the way the main LoZ theme combined with the Gerudo theme specifically at 1:21; the notes are clashing there briefly; same at 1:57, though not as egregious there. I'm not against changing the melody there just because it's different, I just thought that tweak didn't quite work. Otherwise, things were solid, and it wasn't far off the mark the first time around. Welcome aboard, William! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/06/04) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Lullaby of the Desert'
  • Liontamer locked this topic