Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HoboKa

MnP 75: Super Smash Bros Brawl - Bramble Blast

26 posts in this topic

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 75: Super Smash Bros Brawl - Bramble Blast

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP75_BrambleBlastSSBBv3.mid

Youtube:

While this rendition is more lively than its original counterpart from Donkey Kong Country, I love the mood this gives off. I've got great memories of this playing in the background while going through Subspace Emissary. Except for those big-lipped plant things that grapple on to you and were a pain to knock off. :-P

-Zorrakh

Deadline: June 25 Sun @ 1 PM

Vote Ends: June 27 Tues @ 11 PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.



MnP Instructions/Guidelines

  1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct


MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

evktalo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a rather fun little source. My sub is up.

Necrox and HoboKa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a drumline project and a Layers of Fear remix to work on... don't think I will make it this round. Maybe I'll do something quick and goofy

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I had something in the works, but it's so...unsatisfactory.  I don't have the time to try and humanize my crappy samples T_T 

EDIT

Arrrg, I'm gonna plow thru it anyways.  The round needs to have a voter bonus ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard of the MnP compos, but as I have little music making experience, I never paid attention to them. When I saw the source, though, I was intrigued, and after I looked over the rules I thought, "I might actually be able to pull this off!" After some experimenting, I made... something. :) I'm now happy to say I have my very first ReMix under my belt! Submitted!

HoboKa and Dextastic like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silverpool said:

I've heard of the MnP compos, but as I have little music making experience, I never paid attention to them. When I saw the source, though, I was intrigued, and after I looked over the rules I thought, "I might actually be able to pull this off!" After some experimenting, I made... something. :) I'm now happy to say I have my very first ReMix under my belt! Submitted!

YES, now I can submit my crappy track as a BONUS - thank you Silverpool ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

YES, now I can submit my crappy track as a BONUS - thank you Silverpool ;)

You're welcome, I can't wait to hear it!

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Silverpool said:

You're welcome, I can't wait to hear it!

Heh, alright, your's as well.  Make sure to vote, tomorrow at 1PM eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you vote exactly? If I can figure that out, I'll definitely vote.

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Well I had something in the works, but it's so...unsatisfactory.  I don't have the time to try and humanize my crappy samples T_T 

EDIT

Arrrg, I'm gonna plow thru it anyways.  The round needs to have a voter bonus ;)

Are you humanizing velocities, timings, etc by hand? Do you not have a humanize function available to you in your DAW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

Are you humanizing velocities, timings, etc by hand? Do you not have a humanize function available to you in your DAW?

By hand mainly, FL Studio seems to be a bit limiting in that area.  Maybe I kinda undersold my track a bit too *shrug*

EDIT

FL does have humanizing features for velocities and groove stuff - humanizing note lengths and start times seems harder to figure out.  To be fair, I didn't do nearly as much by hand as I used to.  I'll see if I can concoct something better next round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HoboKa Not sure if you ever got a MIDI keyboard yet, but if not, that'd be something to look forward to. :)

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HoboKa Not sure why you submitted yours as a bonus mix.

Anyway it's nice to see some good representation this round. I wonder if anyone else is working on something for this?

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

@HoboKa Not sure if you ever got a MIDI keyboard yet, but if not, that'd be something to look forward to. :)

Yeah, hit a few snags, but that is still in the bucket list, not to worry.  Thanks for the pep talk.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dextastic said:

@HoboKa Not sure why you submitted yours as a bonus mix.

Anyway it's nice to see some good representation this round. I wonder if anyone else is working on something for this?

Psyche!  Changed my mind, after a few listens and a slight tweak.  I'll be participating now.  Whew...it's exhausting being so mercurial.  And the POWER of ADHD!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 votes insofar, less than 1 day to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hope at least all the competitors take the time to vote!

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2017 at 7:30 PM, Silverpool said:

How do you vote exactly? If I can figure that out, I'll definitely vote.

Go back to the compothasauce page, pick the top 3 people.  If there are only 2 participants, you leave the 3rd slot open.  But there are 4 this round, so need to worry about that.  Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on that Silverpool.  EDIT) Oh and you can't vote for yourself :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

Go back to the compothasauce page, pick the top 3 people.  If there are only 2 participants, you leave the 3rd slot open.  But there are 4 this round, so need to worry about that.  Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on that Silverpool.  EDIT) Oh and you can't vote for yourself :P

Thank you for your response! I figured it out and submitted my vote!

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Silverpool said:

Thank you for your response! I figured it out and submitted my vote!

Nice. thanks for voting :)  and glad I was able to help.

Silverpool likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope to get it in tonight. I've got to play catch-up on schoolwork because the site was down for a couple days. Also, I'm sorry to say I couldn't get a bonus mix in: I thought I had a scheduled save for my DAW projects and it closed on me, but I forgot I changed the save settings, so I lost almost all my work. XD

Good luck, everyone!

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just occurred to me.  I forgot to post the Voting Stage notification!  Well, luckily most people got their votes in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results

  • APZX got 1st with 13 points.
  • HoboKrap got 2nd with 12 points.
  • Dex got 3rd with 11 points
  • Silverpool got 4th with 7 points

APZX PM me for the round 76 entry!

Comments

Mirror, mirror on the wall it seems that APZX is the most MnP of them all.  Because it's..........Smash Bro's Brawl??  It rhymes.  Congrats dude, hit me up with entry 76 when you are able :D 

APZX likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And sorry about the rough feedback there Silverpool.  Mighta projected my own frustrations a bit tooo much in that post.  You'll get there one day with some practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HoboKa said:

And sorry about the rough feedback there Silverpool.  Mighta projected my own frustrations a bit tooo much in that post.  You'll get there one day with some practice. 

No worries, I'm a newbie and need lots of feedback. I am not offended at all. :)

HoboKa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0