VGM Remixes Vol.1

Glejs

What's up guys, I'm working on a VGM Remix album. Released a few teasers at my YouTube page.

Teaser 1 - Donkey Kong Country - Aquatic Ambience

Teaser 2 - Chrono Trigger - Opening/Title Theme

Teaser 3 - Castlevania Bloodlines - Iron-Blue Intention

Music styles will be well varied.. Would be cool to hear what people think, and perhaps find some new subscribers. All the best! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, verafx81 said:

I subscribed. check out my music sometimes on my channel. Maybe we can collab on something, since we use similar programs. Good music keep it up. I'll comment on your video also.

That's awesome, thanks so much! I'll definitely check out your stuff, and subscribe to your channel as well. I'm not much of a collab fan, but who knows? :)

• 4 months later...

My take on Aquatic Ambience, a great tune from the Super Nintendo game Donkey Kong Country, is now ready for review <3 I would love to lend someones ears to hear the mastering of this one. Does it sound good overall? Many thanks in advance. 

Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc86bliaehi3bbc/Glejs - DKC Aquatic Ambiance master.wav?dl=0

Original tune:

About the Aquatic Ambience track: Jesus, 9:36 is a hella long track, but here we go =)

I loved the glissandi of the first 2 min of the piece. It was unexpected and pleasant, and reminded me Leandro Abreu's remix of another DK number titled "Sinfonia del Sabio".

The water sounds on the first minute sound somewhat contrasting with the other materials because of the quality of the samples. For what I know of OCR style, if this is not a fully integrated aspect to the song as a whole they (judges) tend to not like it. I don't know about the politeness of suggesting a solution, but if I was with you in person I would say it anyway: maybe apliyng a filter to the other materials of this section to make they sound more chiptune-y like the water sounds, and making an automation for the intensity of this filter to fade off slowly up to the 1:30 of the song. But it's just an idea XD

I liked the bass section that enters around 1:40. Maybe a little muddy in equalization, but not to the point of being a problem but reinforcing the "aquatic" nature of the piece :P

You do a seamless work to present the main material at 2:15. The timbre choice of the lead melody blends very well with the rest.

The thinning of texture at 3:07 is great to prevents boredom. Very good. Oh, the water sounds again. But they don't are long exposed to conflict again.

Very nice solo-variation of the source main countermelody in around 3:36. It ends at 4:24 and don't feel long. Oh, and monkey sounds ^^

From this point there's a timbral shift to a more open sound, and in 4:50 the arpeggios get to my face and say "listen to me, I'll take you upstream!", and that's another big vibe-y section that's very pleasant.

At 5:41 I feel the transition from the previous to the next section is sounding a little beyond the intention, but maybe it's just me.

Repetiton of the main material. Repetition, identifiable recurrent materials: that's what musical form is about. If this section was not present it would certainly be missed.

6:33, one more variation begins. It sounds a little boring until around 6:56 when it begins to get more syncopated, a new resource.

This lasts until 7:25, when not so seamlessly the piece seems to begin reaching for its conclusion. Its "conclusiveness" fills my heart at 8:01, and everything past there sound to me as an extension of some kind. Sure, there are materials (the monkey and water samples) that deserve to be reprised, but I believe they can be more effectively done more as a ~20s last breath than a 1min30s outroduction in a already long piece.

Thus, overall, very good work, Glejs :D I liked very much your work and, even though I just created my account last week (despite being a OCR user since around 2005), I am looking forward to see this one making it. Keep it up and show us more beautiful things with the other tracks o/

18 hours ago, Rafael A. A. Merlo said:

About the Aquatic Ambience track: Jesus, 9:36 is a hella long track, but here we go =)

I loved the glissandi of the first 2 min of the piece. It was unexpected and pleasant, and reminded me Leandro Abreu's remix of another DK number titled "Sinfonia del Sabio".

The water sounds on the first minute sound somewhat contrasting with the other materials because of the quality of the samples. For what I know of OCR style, if this is not a fully integrated aspect to the song as a whole they (judges) tend to not like it. I don't know about the politeness of suggesting a solution, but if I was with you in person I would say it anyway: maybe apliyng a filter to the other materials of this section to make they sound more chiptune-y like the water sounds, and making an automation for the intensity of this filter to fade off slowly up to the 1:30 of the song. But it's just an idea XD

I liked the bass section that enters around 1:40. Maybe a little muddy in equalization, but not to the point of being a problem but reinforcing the "aquatic" nature of the piece :P

You do a seamless work to present the main material at 2:15. The timbre choice of the lead melody blends very well with the rest.

The thinning of texture at 3:07 is great to prevents boredom. Very good. Oh, the water sounds again. But they don't are long exposed to conflict again.

Very nice solo-variation of the source main countermelody in around 3:36. It ends at 4:24 and don't feel long. Oh, and monkey sounds ^^

From this point there's a timbral shift to a more open sound, and in 4:50 the arpeggios get to my face and say "listen to me, I'll take you upstream!", and that's another big vibe-y section that's very pleasant.

At 5:41 I feel the transition from the previous to the next section is sounding a little beyond the intention, but maybe it's just me.

Repetiton of the main material. Repetition, identifiable recurrent materials: that's what musical form is about. If this section was not present it would certainly be missed.

6:33, one more variation begins. It sounds a little boring until around 6:56 when it begins to get more syncopated, a new resource.

This lasts until 7:25, when not so seamlessly the piece seems to begin reaching for its conclusion. Its "conclusiveness" fills my heart at 8:01, and everything past there sound to me as an extension of some kind. Sure, there are materials (the monkey and water samples) that deserve to be reprised, but I believe they can be more effectively done more as a ~20s last breath than a 1min30s outroduction in a already long piece.

Thus, overall, very good work, Glejs :D I liked very much your work and, even though I just created my account last week (despite being a OCR user since around 2005), I am looking forward to see this one making it. Keep it up and show us more beautiful things with the other tracks o/

Rafael, thank you so much for your detailed thoughts and ideas about my track. And thanks for your patience! Indeed it is a long one :) Despite some small niggles, I feel confident to try and get this submitted. Hoping for the best! Thanks again! ;) 

Ah, apologies, are you planning on submitting one of the tracks presented here? This is a collection of releases that you've been putting out regularly, so while that falls under an album being pushed in the WIP boards (which is perfectly fine, by the way!), it doesn't make for a good thread to post a mod review due to the shear breadth of tracks on here. I removed the tag from this thread, but if you have a track that you plan on submitting and are finished taking comments on in here, make a new thread for it and tag it for mod review.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Gario said:

Ah, apologies, are you planning on submitting one of the tracks presented here? This is a collection of releases that you've been putting out regularly, so while that falls under an album being pushed in the WIP boards (which is perfectly fine, by the way!), it doesn't make for a good thread to post a mod review due to the shear breadth of tracks on here. I removed the tag from this thread, but if you have a track that you plan on submitting and are finished taking comments on in here, make a new thread for it and tag it for mod review.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info Gario, I was just reading about the process of submitting tracks to you guys. It says I need to submit the track by email? But is it enough to make a new thread there and tag it for mod review? I have sent you a pm about this. :)