*NO* Candy Crush Saga 'Candy Crash'

Gario

Hi,

Here's my first submission ever to OCREMIX.

Google drive download :
(Download icon is on the up right corner)

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name : Clement Panchout
Your real name : Clement Panchout
Your email address :
Your website : http://www.clementpanchout.com/
Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile : 34601

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged : Candy Crush Saga
Name of arrangement : Candy Crash
Name of individual song(s) arranged Main theme

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
Original composer : Johan Holmström
Candy crush saga is developed by King and can be played on mobile and browsers (Facebook app).
It's a puzzle game released in 2012.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)
Er, hard to find, sorry :/

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
I made this song for MusicWeeklies, we're a group of music composers and we compose music each week with a special theme.
The theme was "candy" and I thought it would be great to make a cover of Candy Crush Saga main theme.
These days, I'm usually into lo-fi composition, chillout music, so that's why I chose lo-fi synths and sounds for this cover.

I hope you'll like it !

Thanks !

Regards,
Clement Panchout, from France.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Oh, this is really quite good; you DEFINITELY could do worse for a first submission. It's criminally short - I really wish it developed further with the meloncholy original lead being backed by the strange source harmonies. The lead work is just gorgeous, with the delicate application of vibrato and portamento. The instrumentation, with the simple synths, sounds great with the lo-fi processing used, so great work on your overall sound design.

The backing to this is pretty repetitive, even if it's a great backing. That's the trouble with arranging such short sources - at face value, if one uses repeats to lengthen the arrangement it'll make for a repetitive, stale arrangement. It doesn't feel TOO detrimental in this track due to the clever lead work above it, but if you were to extend this any further it would drag you down. Letting parts drop, mixing the instruments in different ways, re-order the harmonies, etc., all are techniques one can use to get more out of little, which I would encourage you to explore in this.

The EQ range is pretty limited to the mid range, which leads to the track's soundscape sounding constricted. Explore using synths in the bass range, brighten one or two of your synths with some high end EQ; you've got the space, so don't be afraid to use it.

It's a great little piece, but as it stands it doesn't feel like a complete thought, quite yet. The repetition in the background holds this back, and with something so short repetition doesn't do the track too much good. The potential is very high in this one, though, so I hope you can expand this arrangement further and send us an amazing, dark, lo-fi Candy Crush arrangement in the near future. Hey, if this is your first submission, I can't wait to hear more from you regardless!

NO

What he said.  Borderline creepy but lovely.  I thought the lead theremin in the middle was a little on the piercing side, and it definitely could have done without the fadeout ending, but otherwise the length, repetitiveness, and lack of exploration are what's holding this back.  It's a great start, it just doesn't go far enough.

NO

Really very little to add here. I thought I heard a little bit of clipping in a couple sections, so be on the lookout for that (or it's my headphones). Aside from that, definitely some expansion here and toning down the lead just a bit so it isn't piercing is where you need to go with this. The soundscape and mood are really great, it's a lovely setup. Hope to hear more of this!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Candy Crush Saga 'Candy Crash'