How to Make My First ReMix

Silverpool64

As I was scrolling through the competition forum in hopes of finding the next SZRC, (still not here :() I stumbled upon the latest MnP compo and the source theme caught my attention. I would like to enter, but I don't know where to begin because I've never made a ReMix before. I have access to GarageBand and FL Studio, any tips? I know I have less than 24 hours to submit something, but I really want to try.

Well, it being your first remix, I can probably say, you shouldn't worry about getting anything onto the site yet. How much do you know about music? If you don't know a lot, I'd suggest reading up on music theory, at least the basics. From there I'd say start with Garage Band. Garage Band is great to start, not the best DAW, but certainly worth it as a learning tool. I'd say given you only have less than 24 hours, that's not really enough time to make anything spectacular, albeit your first stuff is never gonna be spectacular. Especially since it seems like you haven't used a DAW before, it's gonna take some time just to learn how to use it. On the other hand, though, compos are what help you to get better. If you wanna try, I'd say go for it, but don't be hard on yourself or discouraged if it doesn't come out amazing. That'll come with experience.

1 hour ago, Ridiculously Garrett said:

Well, it being your first remix, I can probably say, you shouldn't worry about getting anything onto the site yet. How much do you know about music? If you don't know a lot, I'd suggest reading up on music theory, at least the basics. From there I'd say start with Garage Band. Garage Band is great to start, not the best DAW, but certainly worth it as a learning tool. I'd say given you only have less than 24 hours, that's not really enough time to make anything spectacular, albeit your first stuff is never gonna be spectacular. Especially since it seems like you haven't used a DAW before, it's gonna take some time just to learn how to use it. On the other hand, though, compos are what help you to get better. If you wanna try, I'd say go for it, but don't be hard on yourself or discouraged if it doesn't come out amazing. That'll come with experience.

No.

Don't wait until you're educated in music theory. Just start making music, and then read up on some basic music theory so you can know what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right. If you've never created music digitally before, just focus on making your DAW make some sound. Put some loops in there, learn how to record a MIDI sequence (or just draw it in the piano roll), learn how to record yourself if you're an instrumentalist. Start from there. 

Welcome to the rewarding world of music creation!