Ninendo is launching an mini-SNES

The Nikanoru

Official Link: http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

Another nostalgia marketing tool, but what a selection of great games. Price point isn't terrible either.

What does everyone else think?

EDIT: And I would just like to shout-out the fact that Star Fox 2 will be released on here - very curious to see what this is like to actually play! :)

It was strongly rumored and seems like an obvious idea (despite the early discontinuation of the NES Classic).  Note the higher price point.  Since the internal hardware is probably nearly identical to the NES Classic, this is probably the number they needed to make it sustainable and keep production high.

No word on whether the controller wires are longer, probably the #1 complaint about the NES Classic.  Looks like special functions (e.g. save state) may be on the console and not the controller again.

The lineup is mostly close to what one might guess, but there are some surprises.  Of course Star Fox 2 is the biggie, but I wouldn't have guessed Super Mario RPG, Kirby's Dream Course, or Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts either.  No Final Fantasy II or Chrono Trigger, bummer--odd to include Earthbound and not Chrono Trigger.

I was initially excited, however I thought for a minute and realized that I don't need one.  I already have a supaboy (the handheld SNES), and it can play both SNES and SFC games, most of which you can get pretty cheaply online if you know where to look.  My collection is sizable because of this.

I can think of three reasons to get this though.

1.  This would make a great gift for somebody who is interested in playing the SNES, but doesn't have access to one and doesn't like the idea of an emulator.  I can think of a few people that I would give this as a gift to, like my inlaws.

2.  Some of the games on here are not cheap in English (a lot of them are, but there are ones that aren't).  Earthbound doesn't go for a low price, I've been tracking it somewhat regularly over the last 10 years.  Normally I find a decent price on ebay, but the price rises quickly out of my range.  I'm not going to spend $100 on one game, no matter how much I want to play it.  I can get the SFC (Japanese) version for like 5 for a dollar, so I might do that soon, especially since my Japanese is getting better.  This doesn't affect the games on this device for the most part, but it is a nice thought.

3.  The battery backup in SNES carts is limited.  I've seen projections that they last 20 years, which means that they will start dropping like flies in the near future, but I've also seen projections that they last even longer than that.  There is actually a chance that I won't be able to play these games with my kids when they get old enough to enjoy them because saving games wouldn't happen.  For some that isn't a problem, but for others like Zelda or Super Metroid that you can't beat in one sitting as a new player it isn't fun.

My SNES I got secondhand and it's wearing out.  It isn't yellow, but I do have to have a cushion in front of the cart to make it actually turn on, and my controllers are also wearing out.  I probably won't buy this for myself, but would definitely gift it to somebody who would be interested.

6 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

Official Link: http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

Another nostalgia marketing tool, but what a selection of great games. Price point isn't terrible either.

What does everyone else think?

Much like its predecessor, a cash cow preying on nostalgia that will be quickly discontinued 

Thus continuing the Nintendo tradition of working against their own best interests. 

12 hours ago, JohnStacy said:

I was initially excited, however I thought for a minute and realized that I don't need one.  I already have a supaboy (the handheld SNES), and it can play both SNES and SFC games, most of which you can get pretty cheaply online if you know where to look.  My collection is sizable because of this.

I can think of three reasons to get this though.

1.  This would make a great gift for somebody who is interested in playing the SNES, but doesn't have access to one and doesn't like the idea of an emulator.  I can think of a few people that I would give this as a gift to, like my inlaws.

2.  Some of the games on here are not cheap in English (a lot of them are, but there are ones that aren't).  Earthbound doesn't go for a low price, I've been tracking it somewhat regularly over the last 10 years.  Normally I find a decent price on ebay, but the price rises quickly out of my range.  I'm not going to spend $100 on one game, no matter how much I want to play it.  I can get the SFC (Japanese) version for like 5 for a dollar, so I might do that soon, especially since my Japanese is getting better.  This doesn't affect the games on this device for the most part, but it is a nice thought.

3.  The battery backup in SNES carts is limited.  I've seen projections that they last 20 years, which means that they will start dropping like flies in the near future, but I've also seen projections that they last even longer than that.  There is actually a chance that I won't be able to play these games with my kids when they get old enough to enjoy them because saving games wouldn't happen.  For some that isn't a problem, but for others like Zelda or Super Metroid that you can't beat in one sitting as a new player it isn't fun.

My SNES I got secondhand and it's wearing out.  It isn't yellow, but I do have to have a cushion in front of the cart to make it actually turn on, and my controllers are also wearing out.  I probably won't buy this for myself, but would definitely gift it to somebody who would be interested.

4.  A possible 100% complete Star Fox 2 which apparently isn't currently available even in emulated form.

I consider this to be a big deal. I always wished StarFox 2 had been released, but the version circulating around the internet is only a fan-patched late beta version, and allegedly not even close to the final build that exists but was never leaked. Even if the SNES Classic becomes as hard to get as the NES Classic, I expect it won't take long for the finished version of Star Fox 2 to get extracted and put on the internet. (As a real game!)

Details on the Japanese Super Famicom Classic have been revealed.  A different list of games, as with the NES/Famicom Classic, but the choices are interesting.

Japan gets, that US doesn't:

• Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Panel de Pon
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers

Japan does not get:

• Kirby's Dream Course
  • Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Earthbound

I'd just like to point that last one out.  The U.S. doesn't get localized versions of Mother or Mother 3 for decades after their Japanese releases, but then they decide to give us Mother 2 and not Japan for once.

I'm also completely baffled as to why the U.S. and Japan get different versions of Street Fighter 2.

@MindWanderer - It would make sense to market the thing with the games that made it popular in that area, but I see that according to Nintendo UK, Euro release will match the US titles. Given that, I would guess that Nintendo based the list of titles from international sales numbers instead of just US numbers to combine markets and lower console production costs by only making two consoles options instead of three.

Of course, I don't have sales numbers for each game handy to back that up, but the example of Mother 2 you use would make sense, since Mother and Mother 3 were never released outside of Japan and as has been pointed out before, nostalgia marketing dictates that we must be slaves to good-selling familiarity.... :)