Reminiscity

1. work-in-progress Yoshi's Island - Underground BGM - Remix

10 posts in this topic

Zup humans!

Been working on a remix of the underground theme from yoshi's island for the past 5 days. Its a WIP and I feel like my ears have become numb from listening to it for 5 days straight and I really need to hear what other people think about the mix and the arrangement.

Original

My remix

Sounds good to me. If I were to nitpick, I would say that the snare used in the middle breakdown (near 1:32) seems unfittingly powerful. Maybe have it be more filtered (maybe band-passed?) and softer to reflect the dynamics of the atmosphere around it. The hi hat transient near 1:32 could also be slightly softer, and the FM lead at 2:45 seems fairly abrasive for the ambient atmosphere you have... (especially at 3:06).

On 2017-07-20 at 9:27 AM, timaeus222 said:

Sounds good to me. If I were to nitpick, I would say that the snare used in the middle breakdown (near 1:32) seems unfittingly powerful. Maybe have it be more filtered (maybe band-passed?) and softer to reflect the dynamics of the atmosphere around it. The hi hat transient near 1:32 could also be slightly softer, and the FM lead at 2:45 seems fairly abrasive for the ambient atmosphere you have... (especially at 3:06).

Thanks for the feedback! I have updated my post with an updated version of the song. I also increased the tempo slightly.

Update: I've been mixing the song little by little and at this time it is quite different from my original upload so I've updated my original post with the latest version of the song. I feel like it's ready for review.

Update: I took this off "ready to review" after having listened to this a few days later. I'm not completely happy with the lead synth and decided to work on it a bit more :)

Update: After a few days of resting my ears I had a short mixing session. Small tweaks here and there mostly to the low end. I also worked on the lead synth (near the end) and got pretty happy with it :) Thread is updated with the newest version of the mix.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:14 PM, orlouge82 said:

I really like it!  Could you provide a download link?

Glad to hear! I have enabled "download" on soundcloud. Keep in mind that this is still WIP tho :) Although I pretty much consider this done I'll wait a couple of days for more feedback before marking this as "ready for review".

Thanks!  I still like to download WIPs to be able to listen to them before they get posted on OCR because the evaluation process can be lengthy at times.