*NO* Dark Souls 3 'The Ashes Judge'

DragonAvenger

Hello,

I've already submitted a Dark Souls remix before but I do it again with an orchestral work this time. Maybe, I like this games too much !

The history of Gundyr is so sad, he's waiting for an unkindled to kill him and finish his quest, I try to illustrate it and pay tribute to him. So it goes from light to darkness, with an orchestra that simplifies itself for a more powerfull reading of the theme, something heroic, not in a negative way.

Best regards !

-----------------------------------------

Remixer name : Ophanin

User ID : http://ocremix.org/community/user/34572-ophanin/

Game : Dark Souls 3

Song title : The Ashes Judge

Original song : Iudex Gundyr

-----------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Definitely an interesting take on the original here. The opening starts out pretty triumphantly, and there is a mix of emotions throughout as the track progresses. The main motif is definitely the highlight here, being playing and altered throughout, and juggled between the various instruments. There's a lot of techniques I recognize from various orchestral pieces I've heard throughout college, which is pretty neat to hear being applied here. There's quite a lot going on at time, and I do feel like the track gets a little bit cluttered sometimes, through I didn't find it to be a dealbreaker as the main parts are still legible even when the orchestra is going full bore. 

There is some noticeable clipping happening at 0:29-0:31, 1:17, 1:29-1:35, 1:51-1:53, 2:57-2:59, and 3:40-3:41, which is almost odd as it's one of the quieter sections. There is some other clipping, but it's not as noticeable. I do think this should get fixed up as it's detracting overall. Really hope you can address this and get back to us!

NO (resubmit)

Agreed--the arrangement is really nice, good job keeping it orchestral but approaching it in a very different way.  But the production has a number of issues.  The clipping DA mentioned is a dealbreaker for me as well, and not just in the places she mentioned, but several others as well.

1:51-2:11 and 2:59-3:21 were also problematic sections to me, being both cluttered and piercingly loud.

I like the orchestration and the arrangement, so I hope you can give the production some more loving and send it back out way.

NO (resubmit)

Interesting arrangement approach where the piece sounds much more cinematic and potentially uplifting than the source.

The constant clicks/pop cited by the other Js need to be removed. You'll have to figure out which corrupted samples are causing these, and then re-render the track.

At 1:51-2:11, there was definitely clipping-style distortions occurring, despite the overall volume being low.

Volume was pretty low compared to other tracks, so I'm surpised that MindWanderer said things got piercing, but if you turn up the volume just to hear this at a normal volume, the more crowded parts do come off like they're crowded (e.g. 2:59-3:21).

The mixing here is off; there's a distinct lack of high-end clarity throughout that may not necessarily be a dealbreaker for people, but does undermine the arrangement.

I'll come back to this one after giving it some more time.

EDIT (8/25): I'm very sorry for holding this up, Mathieu, as I forgot to come back to it. That said, listening again, I'll just confirm like the others that I enjoyed the arrangement, but you need to fix the production issues. If you could just remove the distortion spots, you'd be in much better shape. Consider also increasing the volume, but watching that you don't leave things too cluttered like some of the densest sections were. Very strong start here; you don't need to change anything with the arrangement, you just need to iron out those production issues, and send it back.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Liontamer
added vote

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/07/07 - (2N/1?) Dark Souls 3 'The Ashes Judge'

A nice more "hopeful" sounding take on the original. Arrangement is quite strong, with lots of great changes in pace and mood. Sections are rarely repeated, you've written this well.

I agree with the others regarding the pops in some of the samples, you need to investigate what is happening there - it's not audible all the time but it's a definite issue. Balance wise the right channel feels more busy than the left, some revised panning of some parts to would be welcome. Mixing could be improved here, and I wasn't too disappointed with the high end, but things did feel clumped together in the frequency space. I still feel the parts were audible for the most part but there is without a doubt room to improve on clarity.

I think this is pretty close to goer if you address the mixing and sample issues.

NO