BATTLECRY!! (Warsong Player Phase 1 remix)

Dextastic

This is a cleaned up version of a remix I made for PRC 352. I put a lot of work into this track, probably more than I've done for any other track I've made so far, and I am considering submitting it to OCR. The source is a relatively unknown Genesis game called Warsong. I'd never heard of the game or the piece before, but it was so fun and energetic I just had to remix it.

Original piece:

My remix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_yjC8gJmW5Mjl4Tm5TNW0tVkU/view?usp=sharing

• 4 weeks later...

eval:

Starts off quite conservative. As far as arrangement goes, I'm gonna have to figure out if this is just a genre adaptation with new instruments or something more ocr-oriented in terms of arrangement. That's always difficult to tell. I think it's in the clear, but we won't know until it's been through the panel.

The piano sounds mechanical and not well mixed into the track. The levels are fine, but you might want to look into stuff like EQ and reverb to give it its own place in the mix. Some of the synths are also rather mechanical, but given that they're synth it's less of an issue. Still an issue though. Some of the guitar melodies sound fake. I'm not too concerned about that, but hide it better, or embrace it and take advantage of it.

I like the ending, or endings, but I wonder how intentional that whole thing is. If it's intentional, see if you can make that more obvious. If it isn't intentional... uh, make it? It's pretty cool.

Sequencing and mixing issues, but other than that it sounds okay. Cool source, cool stuff.

Hey cool tune, I dig it. I don't like when I hear a sound panned 100% to one side. When I hear it the first thing that pops into my mind is my headphones are broken.... Then I realize they are not broken and I start to focus on what I'm listening to.

So keep it up but pan slightly not so much in your face.

Thanks Roz. I agree there are some mixing issues, and I'll work on the guitar tone and such some more. The piano already has a ton of reverb on it but I guess it's not doing its job.

As for the arrangement, the synth part during the verses is entirely new, but other than that it sticks to the source pretty closely until 0:58. 0:58-1:12 is new but inspired by the part right before it, 1:12-1:34 introduces some variations on the verse, and then 1:34-2:40 has major variations and is the part I'm most proud of. From there through the ending I like the idea I have but it's not mixed to come through right. It's amazing how many issues you can hear with a mix after you step away from it for a couple of weeks :-(

verafx, about the panning, are you referring to the piano stereo sweep from 1:10-1:12? If not, which part do you mean?

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:19 AM, Dextastic said:

Thanks Roz. I agree there are some mixing issues, and I'll work on the guitar tone and such some more. The piano already has a ton of reverb on it but I guess it's not doing its job.

As for the arrangement, the synth part during the verses is entirely new, but other than that it sticks to the source pretty closely until 0:58. 0:58-1:12 is new but inspired by the part right before it, 1:12-1:34 introduces some variations on the verse, and then 1:34-2:40 has major variations and is the part I'm most proud of. From there through the ending I like the idea I have but it's not mixed to come through right. It's amazing how many issues you can hear with a mix after you step away from it for a couple of weeks :-(

verafx, about the panning, are you referring to the piano stereo sweep from 1:10-1:12? If not, which part do you mean?

When the stereo sound goes all the way left or right.